2008-11-17 Web Design status meeting

Date: 
Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:13pm - 3:30pm
Committee: 
Web Design
Agenda: 
Old Business:
1.Discuss Volunteer pages with Catherine

2.Agenda modifications

3. Subteam status reports

* Technology (Walt)
* Business model (Ed)
* Content (Georgette)


4. Web redesign status

a. Review Trellon deliverables
* Create final punchlist
b. Next steps to launch

5. Review open action items

a. See files attached below from Projjex and from our Web site.

New Business:

Attendees: 
Ed, Ann, Georgette, Walt, Phil, Catherine Gemmell
Minutes: 
Old Business:
1.Discuss Volunteer pages with Catherine Gemmell

We met with Catherine to get feedback and input on the Volunteer Now! pages on the new Web site. We began with a general discussion of her preferences and then spent the rest of the time on specific content and pages. Catherine prefers pages that focus on the task at hand and do not have a lot of decorative content such as eye-catcher images at the tops of pages. She would also like to see context-sensitive forms where possible.

We discussed the need for two databases -- one that describes the various volunteer positions that we have, and the other one a listing of the current job openings. Action: Catherine will work with Walt on determining the fields that should be in each database and Walt will set up the databases. It was noted that it will be useful to collect Employer information when people volunteer. The current opportunities database needs more complete job descriptions in addition to the existing teaser description.

We discussed where on the site one gets entry into the Volunteer pages -- from the Get Involved tab as well as the JOIN and VOLUNTEER fast paths in the left column.

We observed that one must be registered for the site in order to volunteer. We need to prompt for log in/register if someone tries to volunteer and isn't logged in.

Once in the Volunteer page, the hiker will be offered ON-TRAIL or OFF-TRAIL opportunities, with context-sensitive forms for the selected opportunity. Submitted forms will be emailed to the Volunteer staff and placed in a database on the Web site as well as exported to eBase. Action: Catherine will provide the 6 forms that we will need to provide on the Web site for the different volunteer categories. Action: Catherine will also rework the content on the Volunteer Now! page.

We also discussed the need for an Events database that gives the viewer the opportunity to sign up for a particular event.

2.Agenda modifications

We ran out of time and didn't review open action items. Ann asked everyone to close items when they are completed to make the review in meetings go faster.

3. Subteam status reports

* Technology (Walt)
Walt has identified a hosting provider for the new Web site. A2Hosting in Ann Arbor, MI will provide services for $199/mo. with 20% off for the first 12 months if we purchase ahead. Ed gave the go-ahead to engage them.

* Business model (Ed)
Ed is concerned about completing the Trellon work and getting the site launched. We need to make sure we get the needed images for the various pages from Doug, including the alt gifs and alt text for the images.

* Content (Georgette)
Georgette updated the drop down menus.
Phil has completed descriptions of 100 parks and subregions. There are about 20 remaining. He provided a status summary. Phil wil do Rockland and Sterling Forest next and leave the two regions in South Jersey for later. Phil will not be available between December and March.

4. Web redesign status

a. Review Trellon deliverables
* Create final punchlist

We went through the SOW to review the status of the Trellon beta drop. A number of items for the punch list were identified:
1. Trellon has not provided documentation on what they had to do to theme the Go Hiking pages.
2. The Join page needs work -- $30 appears in too many places and the base price should be $0, not $30. The "Your info" and "Gift membership" sections need to be removed. "Other instructions" should default to plain text.
3. The Donate page has not been done. We will give Trellon revised instructions on what should be themed (less than what appears in Doug's pdf.
4. The search pages are missing the pop-up help (as per Search Parks, page 2) and the "To sort, ..." prompt.
5. The Registration page needs to be themed. Action: We have to give Trellon the pdf so they can complete this page.
6. Trellon has not provided documentation on how they did the CCK pages.


b. Next steps to launch

First priority is to move the site to the new server provider. (Action for Walt.)
On the "Order complete" page we need to add information about printing a copy of the order (Action for Walt.)

5. Review open action items
a. See files attached below from Projjex and from our Web site.

New Business:

We need to invite other staff areas to future meetings to review pages associated with their business processes.

Groups: