2009-01-26 Web Design status meeting

Date: 
Monday, January 26, 2009 - 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Committee: 
Web Design
Agenda: 

Old Business:

1. Agenda modifications

2. Subteam status reports

* Business model (Ed)
-
- Google grants


* Content (Georgette)

-- Resolve issues re reworking of Go Hiking pages

-- Resolve Goggle map issue (Walt) (big piece of module bloat)

-- Respond to strategy call /meeting/20090123-strategy-discussion-mike-haggerty-trellon


* Technology (Walt)

-- Status re resolving performance issues

-- Respond to strategy call /meeting/20090123-strategy-discussion-mike-haggerty-trellon

3. Web redesign status

* Delay launch?
* Follow up to Trellon strategy call
* Review input from Josh and Catherine

4. Specific action items requiring discussion.

See http://new.nynjtc.net/meeting/actions

5. Review launch plan and set goals for next week.

See http://new.nynjtc.net/book/nynjtc-web-site-launch-plan

New Business:

Invite someone to next status meeting?
Submit volunteer hours for Oct 1 - Jan 31 (and June 1 - Sept 30, 2008 if you haven't yet done so) -- (who collects it?)

Attendees: 
Ann, Ed, Walt, Georgette
Minutes: 

Old Business:

1. Agenda modifications

2. Subteam status reports

* Business model (Ed)
-- Google grants
Conference call Wed. with Doug and Eric Werner (search consultant) to determine what additional input we needto provide to Google search. We need subcategories to promote various aspects of our site and business.

(These might be same as taxonomy within the site. Also important in metadata.) Ad words -- bid on search term -- if you win (say @ $.50), you pay that when someone clicks. AdSense allows you to display user ads onyour site. Plan will follow call.

* Content (Georgette)
-- Resolve issues re reworking of Go Hiking pages -- Changes made by Georgette look good.
-- Get Involved page -- Josh to send Georgette stuff by end of day.
-- Cathy Goldman (front desk) -- will beta test site as plain user
-- Store -- all items up but need Combo category in drop-down. (Gary) Walt needs to do some more stuff for shirts. (One page for shirt with checkbox size M or L.) Some photos are appearing in odd spots. (Action)
-- Parks in good shape. Hikes in reasonably good shape.
-- Ann updated site user guide.
-- Permissions for registered user -- can create more content than should be able to. Walt to revise defaults. (Action)
-- Find a Hike / Bearfort Ridge ... Driving directions need to be moved to the top. (Action)
-- Google map issue -- need to document the process to describe a fast path. (Walt to do this week and Georgette will train Cathy next week.) Note that Walt's Google maps performance issue has disappeared.
-- Follow up to Trellon strategy call: see below

* Technology (Walt)

-- Status re resolving performance issues

1- install memcache -- get Trellon help here
2- lower module count -- need to prioritize "feature" class modules
3- TinyMC rich text editor -- really large piece of code. Alternative - zipped compressed Javascript.

 

-- Should we ask Trellon what it will cost to do another review of site performance?

Yes, after we clean up as much as possible. (Core + CCK + panels + views + Ubercart + perhaps organic groups)

-- ok to eliminate all gmap modules now ... (all existing maps need to be redone as a result)
-- Walt to turn off as many modules as we can -- (what we know we don't need, what we may want to reintroduce later but don't need now)
-- delete unnecessary stuff from register prompts. (Personalizing a page is a phase 2 item.)

3. Web redesign status

* Delay launch?

-- ecommerce has to be working. (Google checkout is backend to Ubercart.)
-- No, will do a SOFT LAUNCH on March 1.

* Follow up to Trellon strategy call

-- having a plan for going forward after the launch.
-- engage Trellon to assist in February with Ubercart and other issues that need resolution before launch.

-- 3 THINGS RE PERSONALIZED CONTENT: gear preferences, arrange to hike with arbitrary group, personalized hike list (may want to hire Trellon to do for phase II)
-- Retain Trellon if we will follow their advice to improve performance: install memcache and trim modules. Also for help on Ubercart (secure ecommerce). Trellon to be accountable for getting ecommerce up and running. Ann to draft email to Mike Haggerty. (Note that there will be minimal availability in Feb for Walt and Ann)
-- Engage Trellon after launch to assist with phase II and III plan and budget? (Desirable if the price is right.)

* Review input from Josh and Catherine -- not done yet -- Georgette will get it from them later this week.

4. Specific action items requiring discussion.

See http://new.nynjtc.net/meeting/actions

Review list of modules ... Ed thinks Walt should be able to pare list to approx 21.
Ed: What do we need from Josh and Catherine? -- Georgette is handling.

Josh needs credit card path turned on to view entire process.

What about back end stuff? Who will work with Josh on process there? Need Trellon's help to get it going. Need Trellon to complete implementation (theming to back end).

5. Review launch plan and set goals for next week.

See http://new.nynjtc.net/book/nynjtc-web-site-launch-plan

New Business:

Invite someone to next status meeting? Invite Josh re ecommerce (and anyone else he wants to come.)
Submit volunteer hours for Oct 1 - Jan 31 (and June 1 - Sept 30, 2008 if you haven't yet done so) --(who collects it? -- give to Ann who will give it to Ed) See form on new Web site.

Groups: