ATCC February 8, 2012

Date: 
Wednesday, February 8, 2012 - 9:30am - 12:00pm
Committee: 
ATCC
Agenda: 

 

1. Review of the minutes of the last meeting, 10/12/2011
 
2. Status of documents: NY MOU, NJ MOU, Management Plan Consolidation
 
3. MARPC Meeting (Ironmasters Mansion, Pine Grove Furnace State Park, Gardners, PA 3/2-4/12) Items
    a. Proposals and/or specific agenda items (awaiting info from MARPC, hope to have more info before our meeting)==NOTE: IF you have any agenda items for the meeting, email them to Karen Lutz (copy ATCHAIRS) this week, no later than Saturday 2/4!
    b. 1-minute summary for each NY-NJ AT Committee (PLEASE PREPARE AND BRING TO --THIS-- MEETING!)--
        OR EMAIL in ADVANCE OF THIS MEETING to the group
    c. Attendance plans (who's going, when, and how?)
 
4.  Mid-Atlantic Management-Related Items
    a. Bear Mountain project status
    b. Swamp River boardwalk status, including Mid-Atlantic Crew involvement
    c. Wallkill Bridge proposal status
    d. Trail to Every Classroom: Feedback to Martiann Guiterrez acting as MARPC TTEC coordinator (esp. alumni involvement with local AT vols), planning for 2013 involvement
    e. Monitoring Reports Summaries are due to ATC 2/15
    f. 2011 (and 2010!) LL Bean Grants status and ongoing activities
    g. Upcoming event planning: Warwick AT Community designation celebration, Pawling Boardwalk opening/dedication
    h. AT Ambassador for NY: Mike Fraatz (introduce if present, describe initial deployment plans)   
    i. Girl Scouts 100th Anniversary AT Hikes update (Ron)
    j. Mt. Peter contractor meeting (2/15 site meeting--Gail)
    k. 2012 LL Bean Grants to Clubs (any of the three proposed submitted? --were due 1/31/2012)
    l. Pre-Planning for 2013 LL Bean Grants (NJ Map?, others?)
 
5. Funding issues:
    a. 5-year plan submissions
    b. Current projects on the 5-year plans
 
6. Current problems, projects, & issues
   
7. Any other items?? If you have an item to add, email it to the group TODAY!
Attendees: 
Ron Rosen, Michael Fraatz, Leigh Draper, Chris Ingui, Gene Giordano, Jim Haggett, Walt Daniels, Gail Neffinger, Larry Wheelock and Karen Lutz by phone for part of the meeting.
Status of Minutes: 
Draft
Minutes: 

NY-NJ Trail Conference – AT Coordination Committee

Minutes for February 8, 2012 meeting:

  1. 1.   Review of the minutes of the last meeting, 10/12/2011

Reviewed – no additions

 

  1. 2.   Status of documents: NY MOU, NJ MOU, Management Plan Consolidation
    1. Bob Proudman said that concerns for endangered and protected species and archeological features are prompting NPS to rework the MOU from scratch.
    2. Rebecca Fitzgerald, Park Spt for Wawayanda drafting MOU for New Jersey.
    3. Ron suggested that we contact Bob about status. Will ask Karen Lutz later by phone in the meeting.

 

3. MARPC Meeting (Ironmasters Mansion, Pine Grove Furnace State Park, Gardners, PA 3/2-4/12) Items

    a. Proposals and/or specific agenda items (awaiting info from MARPC, hope to have more info before our meeting)==NOTE: IF you have any agenda items for the meeting, email them to Karen Lutz (copy ATCHAIRS) this week, no later than Saturday 2/4!

  • Discussion of MA-RPC listserv. Discussed approach to agenda item of appropriate use of list serve.
  • Discussed possible discussions to be raised by agenda item ATC Land Stewardship Report from Barb. May address ATC owned properties that we maintain. Ron suggested possibility might be to convey NPS to ATC where possible. New lands would go to ATC.
  • Jim would like to address NEPA. Long wait to resolve simple issues. Fast track the NEPA protocols and small relocations. Local expertise, will they accept local environmental assessments? Can Bob Sickley give categorical exceptions to Park Managers. Ron will draft agenda item and submit to 3/3-4/12 MA-RPC agenda.

More discussion about what we might do depending on what NPS/ATC decides.

 

b. 1-minute summary for each NY-NJ AT Committee (PLEASE PREPARE AND BRING TO --THIS-- MEETING!)—

NJAT March MARPC Report

Flooding and the October snow caused innumerable problems including washed out bridges at Long House Creek, Black Creek; the Pochuck Boardwalk lifted of its supports for much of its length; many blowdowns, and erosion problems and a beaver problem in the vicinity of Millbrook Rd with the potential of washing away a section of trail along a narrow precipice. The trail was temporarily closed in sections and alternate routes posted. Thanks to the work of the West Jersey Crew and our maintainers, the trail was re-opened in a short amount of time, the boardwalk has been reset, Black Creek Bridge repaired and put back in place, and all blowdowns removed, including a huge blowdown on Wawayanda Mountain (Stairway to Heaven). Several problems remain which are being addressed. DWGRA (Kara Deutsch) has been notified of the beaver problem which is currently our most serious issue since if the trail is washed away in this location, a major relocation will be needed. A beaver-fooler pipe had been installed at this location, but the beavers are no longer fooled at all and there is no remedy seen in using the pipe as the beaver dam has been moved.

 

        OR EMAIL in ADVANCE OF THIS MEETING to the group

  1. Attendance plans (who's going, when, and how?)

Gail will attend Saturday only – not absolutely sure of attendance

Jim will attend Saturday

Walt & Ron will attend both days. Friday to Sunday

Gene not going.

Larry and Mike Fraatz will also attend.

 

  1. e.   ATC Club Leaders meeting in August 10-12, 2012

Discussion of who might attend. Walt said ballpark cost is $300.00/person.

Ron explained that traditionally it has been valuable to educate new leadership and/or staff to ATC/NPS details.

Gail Input to stewardship council. What issue do we anticipate.

Gail & Ron may attend-depends on agenda. Others interested. Suggestion to invite Dan Hoberman & Chris Connelly. Gene not attending.

Will determine if we can find funds to offset travel and conference costs.

 

4.  Mid-Atlantic Management-Related Items

    a. Bear Mountain project status

Contract signed and out to bid. Bid will determine how much of upper east face will get done. More funds may be available and Larry anticipates everything but interpretive center on the grounds around the Spider Hill House. Trail U programs to be held this spring at the site.

(added)

b.Fitzgerald Falls – Chris met with Chris Reyling. Jolly Rovers have 6 workdays this year and 6 next year. Training will support Long Distance Trail Crew.

    c. Swamp River boardwalk status, including Mid-Atlantic Crew involvement

Should be completed in April. Needs section from railroad tracks to southern end of existing boardwalk. Railings need to be added. MA-ATC crew working April 19-23rd. Jim looking for advice on parking lot design. Waiting on Metro-North to complete their portion – fill section between the tracks, platform improvement.  Need to plan ribbon-cutting ceremony. Possibly July 1st. Want to avoid National Trails Day. Mike Fraatz will be assisting with coordination of ceremony.

    d. Wallkill Bridge proposal status – no update

  1. Trail to Every Classroom: Feedback to Martiann Guiterrez acting as MARPC TTEC coordinator (esp. alumni involvement with local AT vols), planning for 2013 involvement

A Pawling teacher attended the training 4 or 5 years ago. 2012 will only have returning alumni. Gene mentioned that Vernon teachers attended. He built up interest with Warwick and Greenwood Lake school systems and the program didn’t have the capacity to support it. Ron suggested lobbying for Warwick to be an area that ATC uses as a more intensive program area.

Talk to ATC to suggest using a local training provider that can provide local training. Utilize the ATC curriculum. Leigh will talk to Gene about local providers that might be available. Trail Conference would seek out grants or funding to provide programming.

    f. Monitoring Reports Summaries are due to ATC 2/15. FYI from Ron

  1. 2011 (and 2010!) LL Bean Grants status and ongoing activities

Dutchess Putnam map project – we have satisfied LL Bean portion. Map still needed to get $500.00 from ADK Mid-Hudson to print regional brochure.

Telephone Pioneers – completed. Report needed. Leigh and Jim will get information.

RPH Cabin – Equipment received. Workshop scheduled for early March. Leigh will create report.

  1. Upcoming event planning: Warwick AT Community designation celebration June 30th 8 – 11 on Mt Peter somewhere. Gene hoping to make a major news event. Good thru-hiker time of day. Full day event – breakfast, hike, music on waterfront. Have AT Community signs up in town before the event. Leigh will talk to Gene and Gail about possibly inviting EMS (and others-REI, LLBean, etc) to sponsor event/underwrite some costs, etc.

Pawling Boardwalk opening/dedication – pick a date, invite local politicians, Beekman, Pawling, East Fishkill, Dover, E Dutchess Chamber of Commerce, Native Landscaping, GSA, BSA, Oblong Land Conservancy, Putnam County Land Trust,

Talk about signage – size, type and placement. DOT sign availability for crossings.

    i. AT Ambassador for NY: Mike Fraatz (introduce if present, describe initial deployment plans)   Originally from Delaware, Moved area for SCA internship at Vasser Ecological Center. Graduated from U of Maryland Conservation. Just started grad program at Pace University.

Potential projects for spring - Boardwalk Opening, GSA Hike, AT Communities.

    j. Girl Scouts 100th Anniversary AT Hikes update (Ron)

Heart of the Hudson Council (Rockland to Dutchess) have scheduled 2 events. March 4th Leader training program 45” presentation – AT Hx, generic hiking info, March 24 10am-12:30 Camp AB. No publicity yet.

    l. Mt. Peter contractor meeting (2/15 site meeting--Gail)

    m. 2012 LL Bean Grants to Clubs (any of the three proposed submitted? --were due 1/31/2012)  High Point Composting Privy $1500.00

    n. Pre-Planning for 2013 LL Bean Grants (NJ Map?, others?)

Gail would like to get more financial support for monitoring vests.

Gene - Power tools

570’ Puncheon for Vernon near Pochuk – Rte 94 end. $9800.00 Plastic and oak. More appropriate for RTG.

Outreach grant to continue GSA relationship from hike. More long-term involvement. Speaker’s Bureau.

Orange/Rockland – hiker’s brochure. Leigh will send D/P versions to Gene and Gail.

 

5. Funding issues:

    a. 5-year plan submissions

    b. Current projects on the 5-year plans

 

6. Current problems, projects, & issues

Jim - Correction needed on ATC website to inform hunters about where hunting is and isn’t allowed on the AT. Jim in contact with Todd from ATC about this. Gail – suggest that it be added to MA-RPC agenda. Boundary signs but no easement signs on the corridor.

 

7. Any other items?? If you have an item to add, email it to the group TODAY!

 


 

Phone Call approximately 11:40 AM

Karen Lutz

  1. Any specifics on agenda for land stewardship policy?
    1. Policy being reviewed by stewardship council
    2. Paper should be out soon (Carla/Lenny committee)
    3. Who from NPS will be at regional meeting?
      1. No word as of now
      2. Possibly Rita?
      3. 2013 – extra slots or preferred site for Trail to Every Classroom
        1. Outsource curriculum to local providers. – initial reaction – program not geared environmental education. It is broader curriculum.
        2. 85% chance of Leaders Meeting in August. Confirmed $300.00 ballpark fee. ATC will try to find funds to offset. No ideas yet on limiting numbers of people. Not out of the question that 4 or 5 people could attend.
        3. NEPA protocols – OK to add this to MA-RPC agenda.
        4. Furneau contract – site visit next Wednesday. No confirmation. Check with Michelle.
        5. Sunday, July 1st Pawling Boardwalk Opening – right after Warwick opening.
        6. Submit late LL Bean proposal – put it in – if there weren’t enough proposals to use up funds it might work. CC her on submission.

Subsequently: It was agreed that Gene would submit a late application for a composting privy at High Point S. P. and that Gail would submit one for Monitor vests. Application form was sent to both for immediate submission.