- Go Hiking
- Get Involved
- Be Informed
- Trail Store
- Our Community
- About Us
Initial Policy Council meeting December 8, 2015
Date:Tuesday, December 8, 2015 - 5:30pm - 8:00pm
Food will be available at 5:30 pm. Come early for networking prior to the meeting at 6:00 pm.
- Selection of secretary
- Role of the Council and how it will operate
- Review of our current mission-related policies and practices
- Discussion of potential new policies and practices and those requiring revision
- Formation of groups to work on the highest priority policies and practices
- Set dates for future meetings or teleconferences.
Estelle Anderson, Bob Boysen, Chris Connolly, Marty Costello, Walt Daniels, Salley Decker, Mary Dooman, Peter Hoh, John Mack, John Magerlein, Chris Reyling, Keith Scherer, Fred Stern, Josh Howard. Absent: Leigh Draper.
Status of Minutes:Final
The meeting began at 6:05 pm.
Selection of secretary
Role of the Council and how it will operate
Review of our current mission-related policies and practices
Discussion of potential new policies and practices and those requiring revision
The following existing or new task forces are now in place under the Policy Council to work on the highest priority policies and practices:
Future meetings or teleconferences
- John kicked off the meeting by welcoming all members of the Council. He used the attached charts to facilitate the meeting.
- All attendees described their respective Trail Conference roles.
- Mary volunteered to create minutes for this meeting.
- The Policy Council is responsible for mission-related policies. Policies will generally be relatively brief and will describe what we want to do at a high level. Practices describe how policies are to be carried out.
- We have a web page that lists council meetings, serves as a central place for links to all approved and draft documents.
- A flow chart describes the process we will use to update or develop new policies and practices. Policies require Board approval. Practices do not require Board approval.
- General working process:
- Drafts of policies and practices from Task Forces of Policy Council should be distributed to the Council for review before distribution to RTCs and others for review and comments. This is in keeping with the flow chart.
- RTC representatives on this Council are expected to provide feedback to the RTCs on what the Council is working on. We don’t yet have any material to share at the upcoming EH and Catskills RTC meetings.
- The list of approved policies was reviewed.
- Policies and practices already under development:
- Trail standards – A group is meeing regularly to develop trail standards.
- Trail Management Guide (TMG) – The approved version is very dated. An outline for a new version was created around 2012. We need a current TMG to serve as training material for new volunteers at all levels. A new outline should consolidate content from the current Trails policy, which also needs revision.
- Trail approval process – An ad-hoc group is working on a process to be used by all RTCs. Chris Connolly addressed questions about the charter and goals of RTCs. A draft approval form collects data from concept to sign-off stage to populate the trails database. A prototype form is ready for the Council to review.
- Mountain bike policy – The policy should be reviewed to consider the multi-use needs of our partners. There are issues across all RTCs with multiuse. John Mack and Bob Boysen will create recommendations and NY/NJ alternatives for Council consideration before a new policy could be drafted.
- Trails standards – The Trail Standards group is working primarily on trail design standards and plans to address construction standards in the future. Maintenance is considered done with the currently available maintenance manual.
- Trail Standards Task Force – The existing Standards Committee will now be a Policy Council task force. Members are Walt Daniels, Bob Fuller, John Mack, John Magerlein, Chris Reyling, Ama Koenigshof (staff), Erik Mickelson (staff), and Kevin Simpson (staff).
- Trail Approval Task Force – The current ad-hoc group working on the trails approval process will now be a Policy Council task force. Members are Chris Connolly, Walt Daniels, Gary Haugland, Fred Stern, West Hudson rep TBD, and Catskills rep TBD.
- Trail Policy and TMG Task Force – Members of this new task force are Chris Connolly (chair), Walt Daniels, Mary Dooman, Peter Hoh, Josh Howard, and Chris Reyling. The group will start with existing Trails Policy and TMG outline to draft a Trails Policy and new TMG outline for Council review.
- Mountain Bike Task Force – Members of this new task force are John Mack and Bob Boysen.
- Conference call 1/27/2016 at 7:00 pm
- Additional meetings will be scheduled during the conference call.
|Policy Council charts 20151208.pdf||88.92 KB|