Looking for a fun and interesting weekend project? Join the Catskills Lean-to Crew at the Trout Pond Lean-to.
Trout Pond Lean-to Work Trip: Thursday 8/31 - Monday 9/4
Recently, the Catskills Lean-to Crew, over the course of 11 days worked on the two lean-tos at Trout Pond, in the Western Catskills. We installed 2 privies and 2 new roofs. We will be returning to Trout Pond to finish up the remaining work on Labor Day Weekend, Thursday 8/31 to Monday 9/4. Volunteers are welcome to extend their stay at either end. The location is beautiful, the swimming is great, and the spring water is clear and cold.
Come for the day, or make this a fun overnight trip! Get in touch to let us know if you're able to join.
What we will be doing:
The remaining tasks include:
- Preparing for, and staining both lean tos, and 2nd coating the new privies. Bring clothes suitable for staining.
- Structural repairs to Lean-to #1 due to rot. TP Lean-to #1 is part of the DEC's Accessible Disabilities Program.
- Miscellaneous woodwork, including closing off the spaces between the rafters over the back wall and shelves for convenience.
- General site work.
Eric is planning to arrive Thursday morning. He has permission from the DEC. to drive his truck to the work site with tools, supplies, cooler, canoe etc. If the timing works out, (Eric is always late), he can bring in your personal gear as well.
You can either come for the day or stay at the shelter to make a fun volunteer trip out of the experience! Eric will be out at the site the entire time. When you register, please let Eric know what your plan is and which day(s) you plan on attending.
Where to meet:
Volunteers will be hiking in on their own from the Trout Pond Trailhead Parking, unless they coordinate with others arriving at the same time. Availability of cell service at the trailhead and pond are doubtful.
What to bring:
Lunch and snacks, sturdy shoes, water, safety glasses, gloves, bug dope, and a headlight for the hike out. Bring clothes suitable for for staining. If you’ll be spending the night, bring your necessary overnight gear and food. Tools will be supplied. For those staying over, we do a combination of shared and individual food.
Who to contact:
Feel free to text, call or email Eric with any questions. (845) 594-3817 or [email protected]
The Hike In / Water / Shelter: The hike in, is a relatively easy 1.5 miles. Water is available from the pond and the stream that feeds the pond. The lean-tos will be partially uninhabitable at times. Cell service at the trailhead and pond are doubtful.
Minors under 18: Will need to fill out a Guardian Consent Form, with a parent or guardian present during the worktrip.
Cell Service: There is no cell service at the trailhead or at the worksite.
Thank you again for your desire to help out. We're looking forward to seeing you at the shelter!
UPCOMING LEAN-TO CREW EVENTS:
- Catskill Lean to Crew 2nd Annual Camp-out: On beautiful Colgate Lake in the Catskills. All invited. Bring friends and family too. September 8th-10th.
- Quick Pond Lean-to project: Fall 2023- Roofing, staining and privy. Keep posted for more details!
- Return to Terrace Mountain Lean to Fall 2023 - Finish the stone patio, odds and ends, ALSO compass, orienteering (bushwacking to “Little Sam”) and ropecraft workshop.
Additional worktrip information