Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 6 months ago
    Hi Melissa,  the Trail Conference is working on a new mapset that will encompass the Central North Jersey Area; it will include the areas not in the North Jersey maps, and should be out sometime in 2010.   There are some long trails in the Farny Highlands; and right now the best maps are downloadable from NJDEP Fish and Wildlife; look for Wildcat Ridge WMA, and Farny Highlands.    Actually, hiking in Norvin Green SF and Pequannock Watershed really aren't that much North of Pyramid.  If you would like more info or discussion:  [email protected] 
    Are you talking about Peekamoose field and trail on Peekamoose Rd. (Rte 42)?
    Slide Mt. is a great hike! You can camp anywhere in the Catskill State Forest Preserve as long as you are 150 feet from a road, trail or water. There is an elevation restriction also for different times of the year so since Slide is the highest peak in the Catskills (4000+ feet) you may want to check the NYS DEC website.
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 6 months ago
    There are medium sized frameless packs available from Walmart and Gander Mt. The one I purchased has a pouch for a water bladder and has various other pockets and straps to hold a small tent and sleeping bag.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 7 months ago
    Looking to go backpacking for the weekend in october. Its a three day weekend for me so it works well. Will be my first time backpacking. Usually do long day hikes from a car camping site. I have most of what I need for the trip. Do you need a bear canister in the park?? I read this article in backpacker mag that recommended this hike as a really long day hike or a leisure weekend hike has anyone done this or recommend it? Thanks for your help. I am taking the metro north to the Tuxedo stop and hiking into park also. http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=17301
    hi estelle- im new here but came across the site looking actually for a map set of this area. i live very close to pyramid mtn (yes they have opened some new sections) but the maps there are so local. i love eg. the longer hike of the week butler-montville-kinnelon trail, which is broader. i looked at the trail conference map set for north jersey, but thats more north than i really wanted... do you know anything else about a new map set for this area, like when it will be published or what it might include :) thanks!
  • Reply to: Meetup/Ride Share   14 years 7 months ago
    Hey everyone, I suppose this is a long shot, but is anyone interested in a two day hiking trip in the Catskills during the week? I'm busy both this weekend and next but would really like to get out there before Labour Day. I don't have a car, but would happily pay for gas and tolls if someone else had one. I might go alone, but I'm a bit new to overnight trips, so I'd rather go with someone else. Also, figuring out how to get to a decent trail without a car is proving tricky. I'm a strong hiker and wouldn't mind a challenge. As for the trail, I'm open to suggestions - but the escarpment trail is what I was thinking. Oh, and I'm pretty quiet, but good company. Hope to hear back! Elissa
    If you have a full 5 days, I would recommend heading upstate to either the Catskills or Adirondacks. The Adirondack High Peaks are probably more your speed (and my fav), although it is a bit of a trek depending on where you live. Pick up the ADK Mountain Club guidebook (better yet, visit the ADK Loj!) and map for trails and campsites. Take Exit 30 off the Northway (Lake Placid) - there are some very nice sites for car camping less than 10 minutes north on RT73 along the Boquet R., and fantastic water for swimming (swimming holes take some finding). If you prefer backpacking, there are several very nice interior outposts which give you access to many of the highest peaks (my fav is Algonquin). If you're from S. Jersey, you may want to look into Wharton State Park (camping is available). The Batona trail is a nice hike (although very flat). Apple Pie Hill is recommended, although I don't know about swimming. If you'd like some hills, and prefer to stay in NJ, head up to the Delaware Water Gap (Worthington State Park has camping). I'd recommend Sunfish Pond (good swimming), Van Campen Glen (swimming available there too I think), or Tillman Ravine (and nearby ridge) as nice hikes. There is also a section of the AT accessable for backpacking in that area. Also in the area is Stokes State Park with camping (not familiar with it though). In time I think you'll be suprised by how much nature we have in Jersey, but it takes some work to find the really nice spots. Good luck!
    Hi Dave, I am very familiar with Pyramid. There is a fairly extensive trail system, so you will need a map (usually freely available in the lot). By far the most popular hike takes you past Tripod Rock - I would recommend this for your first visit, but note that this is a very popular destination on weekends especially, so expect crowds. If you're looking for something quieter, you can try crossing the road and hiking Turkey Mtn, although there is somewhat less to see there (the view of Lk Valhalla is nice though). As for your desired distance, you can probably hit 5 miles or so without crossing the road. It's tough to hit all the interesting spots without retracing your steps a bit, but it wouldn't be too bad. For a ~5 mile hike (may be a bit shorter actually), I'd recommend starting at the lot and walking the lower trail (sorry, I don't have a map handy so you'll have to go by my landmarks) NE along the reservoir (there is a nice piney outcropping with a view of the reservoir along this trail), then cutting back up the mtn and to the SW to visit Tripod Rock. From there I would head back the way you came a take a left at the start of the red trail (I think!) which cuts across to another interesting glacial erratic called Whaleshead (on your left) then ultimately reaches a T where you will turn left towards Bear Swamp and Bear Rock. Beyond Bear Rock, I usually return to the lot via the power cut to look for hawks and dragonflies, but there is an alternative trail I believe if the power lines bother you. If you still have energy, cross the road an walk the "hundred steps" up to some stone ruins on Turkey mountain, then I'd recommend looking for that southward view of Lake Valhalla. Enjoy!
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 7 months ago
    Looking for a backpack useful for one or two nighters in Harriman and Catskills. Don't need the tremendous expedition size packs, or the too small daypacks. Any happy intermediates you can recommend?