Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 8 months ago
    yes, i have hiked most, but not quite all, of the SRT. i have not yet done the section from huckleberry up to basha kill. i recently saw a beautiful eastern corn snake on the stretch just before 52 (this section is really great!).

by the way, do you know anything about the Hickok Brook multiple use area, near barryville? (20 miles up the delaware from port jervis, and right near where i live!). there are some old overgrown DEC-blazed trails there. was curious of their history.

nick

You are very welcome Nick, it is great to hear that you and your friend enjoyed your hike. Saturday was a good choice too, right between all the rain. Have you ever hiked the Ridge from 52 south to Wurtsboro? If not I suggest that you try it. Andy
    hi andy!

i just did the gully on a hike yesterday (saturday). the gully trail is really amazing, i highly recommend it to everyone. it has fared well in all the recent deluges. thanks to everyone for doing such a great job on it. i am such a big hemlock fan :)

here are some pictures of the 8-hour hike i took (some of it, not the gully part, with a friend). you'll find pictures from almost all of my hikes at the same site:

http://picasaweb.google.com/moosevan/SouthGullyAndSamSPoint

nick

You could walk up and back from the Garrison station to Sugarloaf in about 2 hours easily without stopping, getting lost, etc.
    As I'm sure you know, overnight camping is allowed only in the shelter areas marked on the map. Camping outside of these areas is illegal and risks a hefty fine. Plus, it's not exactly LNT if new campsites spring up all over park. The closest shelter to Pine Meadow Lake is Stone Memorial.
    Pine Meadow Lake (southern hariman) is a great place to camp .
  • Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 8 months ago
    Anyone who hikes hariman knows that there are a lot of black (rat) snakes in the area, as well as northern brown water snakes, timber rattelers, and copper heads. The later two are the only that are venomous. In my own experience the number of rattelers is perhaps on the rise? I have seen more this year than the past 5 years I have been hiking. I hike with my dog and have done some research that may be helpfull to others who hike with dogs. Antivenom for rattelers is available at OCAES (845)-692-0260. If you hike with a dog, this phone number may be something you want to keep in your pack.
  • Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 8 months ago
    Anyone who hikes hariman knows that there are a lot of black (rat) snakes in the area, as well as northern brown water snakes, timber rattelers, and copper heads. The later two are the only that are venomous. In my own experience the number of rattelers is perhaps on the rise? I have seen more this year than the past 5 years I have been hiking. I hike with my dog and have done some research that may be helpfull to others who hike with dogs. Antivenom for rattelers is available at OCAES (845)-692-0260. If you hike with a dog, this phone number may be something you want to keep in your pack.
    The backcountry shelters in Harriman are three-sided structures, normally made of stone with sleeping platforms inside (and in one case, bunk beds have been installed for the AT thru hikers). There's generally a fire ring in front of the shelter. A quick search on Flickr using the names of shelters I gave you previously turns up a number of pictures. The shelters are for everyone's use.

As I mentioned earlier, there are no permits, reservations or fees for staying in or near these shelters. The shelter sleeping platforms are on a first-come-first-served system. Given our current economy and the summer season, the shelters are busy. There is a decent chance the sleeping platform in the shelter will be full, so make sure your party has enough room in the tent(s) to accommodate everyone.

If the shelter's sleeping platform is full or you'd rather sleep in a tent, you are allowed to setup a tent near the shelter. When you get to a shelter area, it is pretty obvious where the tenting area is. Because the shelters (and surrounding tenting area) are the only legal place to camp, you will normally find many established tent sites near the shelters. I have always found a site to setup my tent in the shelter area, even on very busy weekends.
    re
    Oh I think I misunderstood your previous comment then. Harriman looks like our best bet. I'll have to pick up that map set you mentioned. I'm curious as to what the backcountry shelters are exactly. Is it just a designated camping area for all hikers? Is there a fee or a need to make a reservation? Any chance of it being 'full'? Once again thanks for all the information.