Recent Posts

• Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 8 months ago
    I was at the West Mountain shelter about a month ago for a shakedown to prep for a week long trip in Glacier's backcountry. While at the shelter, I noticed most people weren't following basic bear country procedures. It surprised me, since I've always assumed there are black bears in the park (beyond those in the zoo) and have always taken the normal precautions.

I've never seen a black bear while hiking in Harriman, but I've talked with a number of locals who have seen bears in the park. One regular told me he asked a ranger about bear activity and the ranger confirmed that the number of bear sightings has been on the rise over the last few years. Considering the number inexperienced hikers using the backcountry shelters, I'm surprised there aren't signs at the trailheads or shelters listing basic bear procedures.

It might not be a terrible idea to post something about bears, even if it's just in and around the shelters. I'd hate to see a bear habituated to humans because humans didn't hang their food or pack out their garbage. As the saying goes, a fed bear is a dead bear.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 8 months ago
    I'm looking to make a day hike out of a train ride to Garrison. I was thinking of the Arden Point/Marcia mile Blue-Red-White loop. But it seems kind of short. How long would it take to climb up to Sugarloaf Hill and back? I'd like to do both if they're doable under 6 or 7 hours. Thanks!
    Hi everyone! I am interested in hiking up the (relatively) new South Gully trail up to Sams Point. The trail map indicates some road-side parking near the trailhead. Is there enough space for two cars here? I've hiked in the area many times, but have never driven on that stretch of 52, so don't have a picture of the trailhead in my head. thanks!! nick
  • Reply to: Meetup/Ride Share   14 years 8 months ago
    Not from central NJ but live in Walden, NY about 20 miles from Breakneck. Been here 3 months. Hiked Bull Hill, around the Cornish Estate and to the flagpole at Breakneck Ridge. Would like to do more in the Highlands & also acoss the river at Storm King. Bob [email protected]
    I'm planning on doing a lot of day hiking in the Hudson Valley - Storm King, Breakneck Ridge, and a number of others. Looking for a hiking partner from the central Jersey area. To discuss give Ralph Netta a call at 908-472-8023
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 8 months ago
    Thanks for the advisory. The Sterling Valley Loop Trail is not maintained by the Trail Conference. In Sterling Forest State Park about half the trails are taken care of by the Park, and the other approximate half by the Trail Conference. We work closely together. My examination of the flooded location on July 4th, this being during a very rainy season, revealed that passage on foot was possible (keeping the feet dry), with a bit of hopping. Some one had placed a board across the middle of the flooded width, on top of two concrete blocks. A step from water edge to the board was possible, and on the farther side dry land could be reached by a hop to a stone and then to the waters edge. At this particular location and day, the beaver dam adjacent to the flooded path was found breached for about a two foot length. Under the circumstances of all the rain, I suspect that the flooding would have been about the same whether or not the dam was breached- the difference being that the dam would be full, the water higher upstream of the trail, and the water flow about the same. Beaver problems are increasing. The Parks do not typically breach beaver ponds, and even if they were breached the beavers would repair them. A solution is to move the beavers to another location, but that is not commonly done. In dryer times the trail will likely not be flooded: the water level on the opposite side is below trail level (until the beavers become more ambitious downstream). This specific flooding problem is known to the Park. The trail in this area is actually not on park property but the owner allows the trail to cross. There is some consideration of a Scout group building a bridge, but nothing is settled.
    I am going to be in the Lake George area next week. Does any one want to join me on a hike up this mountain. BT Week of July 12 to 16.
    I am going to be in the Lake George area next week. Does any one want to join me on a hike up this mountain. BT Week of July 12 to 16.
    That's good to know. I think Nyack sounds about right. Is there a camping spot in Blauvelt State Park or Rockland State Park or anywhere in the range of 12-20 miles? Probably not. My guide book is in the mail. I was looking for a day trip, with train or bus return. A camp night is fine too, to make it to Bear Mountain Bridge, cross over to Metro North on the east side.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 8 months ago
    Does anyone know if the trail to Stony Kill Falls, in Minnewaska State Park, is open? It closed last year due to fire. Also, does anyone know anything about the condition of the trail going from Stony Kill Falls to Lake Awosting? It's listed as unmaintained, and I read somewhere that it was rocky and difficult. But I wonder if it's still doable, if one is a moderately-skilled hiker.