Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 9 months ago
    Where in Bear Mountain are you talking about. The LP is about 42.5 miles to calls Hollow road at the edge of Harriman State Park. If you hiked (Jogged) for 12 hours without stopping at all you would need to average over 3.5 miles per hour. Can you do that? It is not the Catskills but it isn't all easy either. I did hike the entire LP in sections with my son a few years ago. We did Fort Lee to Nyack (23 miles) in 1 day.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 9 months ago
    Has anyone done this route recently. Is it doable in one day?
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 9 months ago
    I don't see mention of this here, but this trail has significant beaver induced flooding north of Mystic Swamp, just west of the P7 parking area in Sterling Forest requiring challenging bushwacking to circumvent.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 10 months ago
    Terrible news. It was just a matter of time though. "Keep not standing fixed and rooted, briskly venture, briskly roam" - Goethe
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 10 months ago
    Just a minor correction: If you're looking for this one on a map this is Not the town of Franklin which is in North Jersey and has some nice trails in the vicinity, but Franklin Township in Central NJ. Alas Franklin is one of those multply used names for townships in the state. Look up Blackwells Mills on your road map and you'll almost be there...
    In response to the notifications of the missing blazes along the Blue Disc Trail in Southern Harriman State Park, I just want to let everyone know that I am aware of it and in the process of replacing not only the vandalized blazes, but all the blazes on that trail with a correct sized (2" X 3") metal blaze. However, it is slow going because of the rain. Thanks for keeping the Trail Conference informed of any trail issues. Kathy Goldman, Blue Disc Trail Maintainer
    The trail is actually officially closed between Sunk Mine Road and the AT crossing (not Rt. 301). The closing is posted with signs and yellow hazard tape. The ranger said that the closing was due to high water released from John Allen Pond, in an attempt to stabilize water levels there. As an alternate, you can use the AT from Sunk Mine Road, but because of the high water conditions, the stream crossing just north of here may be a problem. A safe and dry alternate is to go north on the gated mine road just east of the bridge (dotted black line on the TC map) and about a five minute walk east of the 3 Lakes Trail. This road will join the 3 Lakes Trail near the junction with the Old Mine Railroad Trail. This is in the closed section, but it is well north of the problem area. The above information was based on personal observation on June 19. Ed Goldstein

The trail head for the Mine Trail/Wyanokie Circular (yellow & red) is permanently closed by the landowner. This trail head is on Snake Den Rd, near the Weis Ecology Center parking lot. We will be posting signs and blocking access at both ends of the private property.  Please plan your hikes to enter and exit the forest trails at other locations. Either using the HewittButler/Mine Trail (blue and yellow) via the Otterhole Trail (green) from the Weis Parking Lot; or use the Highlands Trail from Westbrook Rd/Townsend Rd to the new Roomy Mine Trail extension to access other trails.  We will be creating links / detours very shortly, but ask your cooperation now in avoiding this trail head. 

***Click Here for a map of the revised trail system*** 

The section of Three Lakes Trail, from 301 to Sunk Mine Road, is closed. Due to beaver activity and heavy rains, the trail is not passible, and will remain closed until park management decides otherwise.

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 10 months ago
    The Six Mile Run Reservoir Site has been in the NJ State Park system for quite a while. Six Mile is unique among state parks in New Jersey for its foliage and small hardwoods. This growth is the visible result of the "old field succession" about which we learned in high school biology. Six Mile was taken over by The State of New Jersey about 40 years ago, so that part of the land taken out of cultivation has growth of about 40 years, where as most state parks are much older and no longer show this sort of foliage. It is unique and makes Six Mile a worthy peer of Worthington, Stokes, Ringwood, etc. Six Mile is actually maintained by JORBA, the Jersey Off Road Bicycle Association. They have done a terrific job in building and maintaining trails. The trails are very good, and sort of intimate. Here is a link to the latest and unofficial map of Six Mile: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2321&d=1231955131 There is parking off of Rte 27 near the Soccer fields across from Hidden Lakes; also off of Jacques Lane up from Canal Road; and at the old D&R Canal State Park office on Canal Rd near Blackwells Mills Rd. Please come and put your feet to the ground.