Conference call May 16, 2016

Committee: 
Policy Council
Meeting
Date: 
Mon, 05/16/2016 - 18:30
Location: 
Agenda: 
  • Roll call
  • Marty Costello has resigned from the Policy Council. The selection committee headed by Jane Daniels is seeking a replacement, who will require Board approval.
  • Trail Approval Task Force: Status report by Walt Daniels (10 min)
  • Trails Standards Task Force: Status report by Walt Daniels (10 min) If available, review charts for use in presenting the draft Trail Design Standard to the RTCs and decide whether these should be presented to the RTCs.
  • Trail Policy and TMG Task Force:
    1. Trail Management Guide (Estelle Anderson, Walt Daniels, and Mary Dooman; Leigh Draper for input on trail assessment): Status report by Mary Dooman (30 min) Review comments by Council members about the current draft and decide whether it is ready for detailed staff review, which is the next step in the process.
    2. Trail Management Policy (Walt Daniels (leader), Peter Hoh, Josh Howard, and Fred Stern): Status report by Walt Daniels (10 min)
    3. Trail Use Policy (Bob Boysen (leader), Chris Connolly, Jane Daniels, John Mack, and Keith Scherer): Status report by Bob Boysen (10 min)
    4. Land Manager Relations Policy (Estelle Anderson, Chris Connolly, Leigh Draper (leader), and Josh Howard): Status report by Chris Connolly (10 min)
  • Other business including possible need for other new or revised policies (10 min)
  • Set date for next meting or conference call
Groups audience: 
Attendees: 

Estelle Anderson, Bob Boysen, Chris Connolly, Walt Daniels, Mary Dooman, Leigh Draper, Peter Hoh, John Mack, John Magerlein, Chris Reyling, Keith Scherer, Josh Howard. Absent and excused: Moe Lemire, Fred Stern.

Status of Minutes: 
Draft
Minutes: 
  1. John Magerlein noted that Marty Costello has resigned from the Policy Council. The selection committee headed by Jane Daniels is seeking a replacement, who will require Board approval.
  2. Trail Approval Task Force
    • Walt Daniels, who has had little time due to the demands of the web project, reported that the approval process is being modified. It will eliminate the major, minor, and minimal categories and will define normal maintenance, which does not require approval, vs. other work, which requires approval. An updated approval process is anticipated by the next meeting.
  3. Trail Standards Task Force
    • Leigh Draper has draft charts to use in presenting the draft Trail Design Standards to the RTCs. She will share these with Walt and other Task Force members soon. She expects to have updated charts ready for the Council to review at the next meeting.
  4. Trail Management Guide
    • Mary Dooman gave a presentation about the TMG, which has been edited to respond to comments received. The TMG has been referred for staff review. Staff members can make comments individually now and Josh will review at a staff meeting on June 2. He commits to having all comments in the document by June 7. The Task Force will review the comments and have a revised version for us to consider at our next meeting.
  5. Trail Management Policy
    • No progress to report due to other priorities.
  6. Trail Use Policy
    • Bob Boysen reported that the policy is under active development. The group will send John Magerlein a link to the current draft for posting with the Policy Council working documents.
    • This policy must be coordinated with the Land Manager Relations Policy.
  7. Land Manager Relations Policy
    • The group now includes Estelle Anderson (leader), Chris Connolly, Walt Daniels, Leigh Draper, Mary Dooman, and Josh Howard.
    • The policy is under active development. It may be split into a policy portion and a practice, which can be included in the TMG.
  8. It was suggested that we develop a practice regarding how to deal with overused trails. No action was taken at this time.
  9. It was suggested that we develop a policy regarding risk management and first aid training for crew chiefs and leaders. After some discussion, Leigh Draper, who has experience in this area, agreed to lead an effort to formulate such a practice. Chris Reyling would like to have input. Josh Howard suggested that we consult with NJ Search and Rescue, David Day, and the AMC.
  10. The next meeting will be in person at the Trail Conference office on Monday, June 27. A light meal will be available at 5:30 pm, with the meeting scheduled for 6:00-8:00 pm.