Long Pond Ironworks State Park
- Long Pond Visitors Center is located on the right side of Greenwood Lake Turnpike [County 511] after it crosses the Monksville Reservoir causeway going west. Park at Long Pond Visitors Center to hike. GPS Coordinates: 41.141004, -74.308964
- For the Monks Trail use the access road from Greenwood Lake Turnpike to the North Boat Launch area along the Monksville Reservoir. Trailhead is at the far end of parking. GPS Coordinates: 41.136633, -74.301232
- For the Wanaque area, take I-287 Exit 57 to Skyline Drive. At end of Skyline Drive turn right on Greenwood Lake Turnpike [County 511] to East Shore Road. GPS Coordinates: 41.141539, -74.315141
- Public Transportation: NJ Transit Bus #197. Bus stop GPS coordinates: 41.141539, -74.315141
Public Transportation: NJ Transit Bus #197. Bus stop GPS coordinates: 41.141539, -74.315141
Long Pond Ironworks State Park contains the remnants of ironworks operating from 1766 to 1886, two other pre-Civil War furnaces and two waterwheels surviving to this day. A visitor center and museum are on site.
Three trails in the State Park lead to remnants of the historic mines and ironworks: The Sterling Ridge Trail [blue on white blaze] - co-aligned with the Highlands Trail [teal] -- the Monks Trail [white blaze] and the Whritenour Mine Trail [yellow blaze, marked "unmaintained" on Trail Conference Map 115]. Trails range from 0.4 to 8.6 miles. Use Web Map link on this web site to view a NJ State Pak Service map.
A section of the Highlands Trail runs through the park. Visit The Highlands Trail website for complete, accurate and up-to-date information about New Jersey's Millennium Trail, including trail descriptions, current trail conditions and maps.
The former Wildlife Management Area of the park includes portions of the Highlands, Sterling Ridge and Hasenclever Iron trails, plus a network of unmarked woods roads with access from adjoining paved roads. The Jennings Hollow Trail [3.0 miles; yellow] starts from the Sterling Ridge Trail [blue on white] 1.1 miles from its southern trailhead at the intersection of East Shore Drive and Greenwood Lake Turnpike. One highlight is a view across an extensive wetland along the return segment of the loop. Jennings Creek is impressive in flood, especially when looking for underwater stepping stones.
- Note: From East Shore Drive a trail/woods road identified as Jennings Hollow Fire Road, which is a little steep and rugged in places, leads 0.3 mile to the loop portion of the Jennings Hollow Trail. Roadside dirt parking for a few cars is directly across East Shore Road.
The long-awaited replacement footbridge for the one that was washed away by Hurricane Irene in 2011 was completed in late 2016. The bridge is a strategic link over the Wanaque River for the Hasenclever Iron Trail and the Highlands Trail.
Long Pond Ironworks State Park
The Monksville Reservoir dominates Long Pond Ironworks State Park. Historically, Long Pond, later called Greenwood Lake, gained prominence when Peter Hasenclever directed the construction of a dam across the southern end of Long Pond to provide water power for his ironworks downstream in the Hewitt area. Long Pond Ironworks was built in 1766 on Long Pond River, now known as the Wanaque. Just before the Civil War, two more furnaces were built with two waterwheels, and were in operation until 1882. The ruins of these structures survive in the park today, including several relocated historic frame buildings.
Check the Friends of Long Pond Ironworks website for the seasonal schedule for tours of the furnace area and village and the hours for the Long Pond Visitors Center. For more information, call (973) 657-1688.
In 2009, the former Wanaque Wildlife Management Area was incorporated into this state park. Its 2,320 acres are located adjacent to and just east of Greenwood Lake, and are currently used primarily for hunting and fishing.