|Trail Conference News: Several miles of new trails, including Overlook Rock Trail, created in Norvin Green State Forest.|
The name "Wyanokie" is a variant of the Native American"Winaki," commonly rendered Wanaque, meaning "place of sassafras." The Wyanokies range in elevation from 400 to1,300 feet, and although within sight of the New York skyline, the hiker can find peaceand beauty aplenty in the area's streams, waterfalls, and scenic vistas.
Most of the trails in the Wyanokies are in the Norvin GreenState Forest,but some extend into the watershed property owned by the North Jersey DistrictWater Supply Commission. Other parks tothe north are also included in this region.
Parks and preserves in this region include:
- Norvin Green State Forest
- Weis Ecology Center south of West Brook Road
- Monksville/Stonetown north of West Brook Road
- Long Pond Ironworks State Park
- Wanaque Wildlife Management Area
- Tranquility Ridge County Park [New Jersey Section of Sterling Forest]