As caretakers of the region’s trails and natural areas, the Trail Conference puts the safety of our service members, staff, and trail users first and foremost. As restrictions on activity begin to ease in the midst of COVID-19, safety remains our number one priority.
Guidelines for outdoor recreation have changed. Here's what you need to know:
- Stay local: Please be mindful of the distance you travel and respect communities that have not been as impacted.
- Stay small: Avoid crowds and groups. Recreate only with members of your immediate
- Stay flexible: Have alternative hikes ready to go if parking areas are full.
- Be safe: Wear a face covering when you cannot maintain physical distancing.
- Be smart: Be prepared on your hike.
- Be eco-savvy: Practice Leave No Trace principles.
- Be understanding: Not all parks are allowing volunteer activity to resume, and not all volunteers are comfortable getting out just yet. If you encounter trail conditions that are damaged or unsafe, use our Trail Issue Report to let us know.
Below is a list of all current closures and modified park operations:
Park + Trail Closures:
- Catskill Forest Preserve: Kaaterskill Falls trails and all fire towers in the Catskill Forest Preserve temporarily closed.
- Celery Farm: Temporarily closed.
- Harriman-Bear Mountain State Parks: Some park roads and Anthony Wayne Recreation Area temporarily closed.
- High Mountain Park Preserve: Temporarily closed.
- Hudson Highlands State Park Preserve: Multiple trail and parking closures including, Mount Beacon parking area and trail, Breakneck Ridge, Wilkinson Trailhead, Notch Trail, Washburn Parking Lot, Little Stony Point Trails, Brook Trail, Indian Brook Falls Trail, Anthony’s Nose and Appalachian Trail connector, U Bend parking on Goat Trail, Toll House parking lot.
- Mohonk Preserve: Coxing trailhead temporarily closed.
- Palisades Interstate Park, New Jersey Section: Giant Stairs section of Shore Trail temporarily closed.
- Rockleigh Woods Sanctuary: Temporarily closed.
- Ringwood State Park: Shepherd Pond Recreational Area temporarily closed.
- Wawayanda State Park: Pochuck Boardwalk section of the Appalachian Trail temporarily closed.
- Worthington State Forest: Dunnfield Creek Parking Areas temporarily closed.
Modified Park Operations:
- Bergen County Parks: Reopen with restrictions.
- Catskills Sundown Wild Forest: Peekamoose Blue Hole temporary permit reduction.
- Essex County Parks: Reopen with restrictions.
- Mohonk Preserve: Reopen with restrictions.
- Morris County Parks: Reopen with restrictions.
- Ringwood State Park: Parking restrictions in effect.
- Rockland County Parks: Reopen with restrictions.
- Teaneck Creek Park: Open with modifications. Puffin Way parking area closed; use the entrance on Fycke Lane.
- Tenafly Nature Center: Open with restrictions.