Updated July 27, 2020:
As caretakers of the region’s trails and natural areas, the Trail Conference puts the safety of our service members, staff, and trail users first and foremost. As restrictions on activity begin to ease in the midst of COVID-19, safety remains our number one priority.
Guidelines for outdoor recreation have changed. Here's what you need to know:
- Stay local: Please be mindful of the distance you travel and respect communities that have not been as impacted.
- Stay small: Avoid crowds and groups. Recreate only with members of your immediate
- Stay flexible: Have alternative hikes ready to go if parking areas are full.
- Be safe: Wear a face covering when you cannot maintain physical distancing.
- Be smart: Be prepared on your hike.
- Be eco-savvy: Practice Leave No Trace principles.
- Be understanding: Not all parks are allowing volunteer activity to resume, and not all volunteers are comfortable getting out just yet. If you encounter trail conditions that are damaged or unsafe, use our Trail Issue Report to let us know.
Below is a list of all current closures and modified park operations:
Park + Trail Closures:
- Hudson Highlands State Park Preserve: Little Stony Point is open Monday - Friday, closed on Saturday and Sunday.
- Sam's Point Area of Minnewaska State Park Preserve: The Ice Caves Trail, Verkeerder Kill Falls Trail, Indian Rock Trail, High Point Trail, and Berry Picker Trail are temporarily closed. The carriage roads and woods roads in this area of the park remain open..
Modified Park Operations:
- All New Jersey State + County Parks: Parking is limited at 50% capacity.
- Bergen County Parks: Reopen with restrictions.
- Bash Bish Falls State Park: Reopen with restrictions.
- Catskills Sundown Wild Forest: Peekamoose Blue Hole temporary permit reduction.
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area: Open with some temporary closures to facilities, some park roads, and backcountry Appalachian Trail campsites.
- Skyline Drive, Mountain Road, Blue Mountain Lakes Road above the Blue Mountain Lakes trailhead parking area, and Dingmans Falls Road (in Pennsylvania) are closed to traffic.
- Essex County Parks: Reopen with restrictions.
- Mohonk Preserve: Reopen with restrictions.
- Morris County Parks: Reopen with restrictions.
- Norvin Green State Forest: Reopened with traffic advisory and parking is now limited to 50% capacity at the outer parking lot of the New Weis Center, located at 150 Snake Den Road. Emergency No Parking will remain in effect until further notice at the two following locations:
- Northwood Drive: Both sides entire length posted no parking with cones and signs.
- Otterhole Road: Eastbound side of Otterhole Road from Weaver Road to the Bloomingdale line is posted no parking with cones and signs. Westbound side starting approximately ½ mile from the Bloomingdale line to Weaver Road is posted no parking with cones and signs. Please be advised any cars parked illegally on residential streets may be ticketed or towed.
- Ramapo Mountain State Forest: Parking regulations are being strictly enforced. Vehicles that are parked in an area that is marked as "no parking" are subject to ticketing and possible towing by Local and Park Police.
- Ringwood State Park: Parking restrictions in effect. Shepherd Lake Recreational Area is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., no fee. Bathrooms open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Rockland County Parks: Reopen with restrictions.
- Teaneck Creek Park: Open with modifications. Puffin Way parking area closed; use the entrance on Fycke Lane.
- Tenafly Nature Center: Open with restrictions.
- Wawayanda State Park: Trail use at Terrace Pond is only permitted between 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. until further notice.