Remember: The safest place right now is at home.
Notification for Wednesday work is sent out via the westtts list on Sunday night advising crew of the work location.
Tramps work all year long.
About the Crew
Volunteer to work on trails in New York’s northern and central Westchester county with the occasional foray into the Hudson Highlands of Putnam county.
The Westchester Trail Tramps (westtts):
- Maintain trails by routinely clipping, sawing and blazing.
- “Swamp ” for (assist) certified chain sawyers
- Improve trails by constructing puncheon, boardwalks, bridges, rock stream crossings, crib walls and stone steps.
- Rehabilitate trails by side-hilling and installing water bars and check dams to facilitate drainage.
- Identify, report and remove invasive plants.
- Identify routes for new or rerouted trails.
- Clear and construct new and rerouted trails.
- Supervise and work with corporate volunteer groups.
- Participate in a high school internship program mentoring seniors.
- Take on non-traditional projects which enhance the hiking experience and contribute to our partners’ environmental mission. Past examples include work on beaver control projects, planting and protecting native plants, improving habitat for injured raptors and participation in a fisher tracking program.
We provide training as necessary, specific to the project.
What to Bring/Wear
Please wear hiking or sturdy shoes. Long pants and long sleeves are best for many projects. We recommend bug spray and sunblock. Most regular crew members have their own loppers, clippers, hammers, gloves, hand saws and other common trail maintenance tools. We can also provide these tools as well as tools for specific projects including rock bars, baskets, picks, mattocks, sledge hammers, nails and paint. Bring water, snacks and lunch. Sometimes, the crew leader provides homemade cookies.
Tramps work all year long. Work trips are 3 hours +/- and usually scheduled from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm. Notification for Wednesday work is sent out via the westtts list on Sunday night advising crew of the work location, project and what to bring.
Join the crew by sending an email to either of the leaders below. It is a closed group.
To leave the crew unsubscribe or follow the instruction at the bottom of any email from the group.