Our archives include an extensive collection of historic maps and books, collections of historic Trail Walker newsletters and other newsletters, physical memorabilia such as hiking club patches and historic blaze markers, event documents, photographs and recordings, and internal organizational documents. Our archives have grown in recent years, but we have unfortunately been without an archivist. So as we enter our 100th year, we greatly need a dedicated archivist to help us move into our next century of service!
- Become familiar with the contents of our archived materials
- Complete an assessment of our current archives
- Make recommendations for how to organize and protect the archives using best practices
- Make recommendations for how to catalog the archives
- Make recommendations for how to document/track incoming materials
- Re-organize the archives
- Create and maintain a digital catalog of the archives
- Implement a procedure for documenting incoming materials and placing them in the appropriate location
- Past experience with archival practices, either in a professional or personal capacity, is highly desired
- Organizational skills are necessary
- Applicants must be competent with using computer software for the purposes of creating inventory and tracking lists, and for managing archival material in digital format including scanned materials
- Applicants must be over the age of 21
The volunteer will receive an overview of the current status of the archives and some past archival practices, but no further training. Therefore, volunteer should have at least basic knowledge of archival practices and the ability to research and suggest best practices.
Desired duties would likely require at least 100-150 hours of work (100 years of material is a lot to sort through!).
Scheduling will be flexible, as the volunteer can work during regular office hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.
Work to be started as soon as the volunteer may be available.
An ongoing commitment to serve as archivist is desired; however, a short-term commitment to complete most of the desired duties would be acceptable.
New York-New Jersey Trail Conference Headquarters
600 Ramapo Valley Road
Mahwah, NJ 07430