Minutes: 2008-07-14 Web Status Meeting

 

Minutes TC Web Group Meeting July 14

 

Action Items resulting from meeting

  • Walt to add Teaser field to Parks and Regions databases
  • GW to develop Web content developer job description; to ask Katy to troll vol database for possible matches before she leaves.
  • Walt to email top 2 or 3 themer candidates
  • Ann and Walt to make a recommendation re themer at next meeting
  • Doug to hand off approved design changes to Claudio
  • Next group meeting: July 28, 1:30-3:30

 

For Next or Future Meeting

Discussion about Region identification

 

Status Reports

Technology:

  1. Walt has been working on problem with disappearing edit tabs; has been in touch with someone from Drupal; Walt plans to clone database then start process of eliminating modules in attempt to locate source of problem
  2. Walt noted that he has posted a couple of new potentially useful modules to the Group
  3. No evidence of theme implementation activity since last meeting

 

Business Model:

            Under new business

 

Content:

  1. Phil has continued to add content to the Parks database
  2. GW has been editing the Hikes database
  3. Phil recommends adding a Teaser field to Parks and Regions databases; Walt to do this.
  4. Phil agrees with Walt about rethinking Regions; he would like to be part of this discussion

 

Hike Features

After discussion, consensus was reached on the following:

 

Features to list (with checkbox)

Waterfall

Viewpoint(s)

River/Ocean view

Lake

Wetland

Handicapped Accessible

Fees

Accessible via public transportation

 

Search components

By difficulty

By state/region/park

By hike length/time

By features

 

In Parks database

Trail Uses (not searchable)

Hiking

Mountain biking

Bridle Path

X-C skiing (only official, groomed trails)

 

 

Job requirements for Theming

  • Ann & Walt have screened 6 responders to ad; 2 or 3 are promising; Ann identified one in particular. Walt agreed to email the top 2 or 3 for more info.
  • Doug noted that themer needs to be good with Javascript integration into Drupal, that this is one of the major challenges of the site.
  • Ed suggested that Doug be part of the conversation with Ann and Walt

 

New Business

1. FY2009

  • Ed noted that $$ for 2008 are being depleted by other projects, since this one has not progressed sufficiently; $14,400 left at end of June
  • Doug suggested that we should expect to pay $80/hour and up for a themer
  • Ed proposed budgeting $10,000 for web project next year

 

2. Projexx

  • Everyone has logged on, but no one has yet explored it in depth
  • Ed encouraged Doug to use Drupal Group for posting his schemes

 

3. Interesting Links on current site

  • Walt demonstrated a new module that may be useful in posting and categorizing Interesting off-site links

 

4. New slides from Doug

Map Overview: Recommendations:

Make map pop-up- box opaque

Omit all park names and all text, except for some towns names; use numbers on ‘enlarged' map

Where there are more than 10 parks in a region, list top 10 and then ‘See Other"

Ed to consult with Jeremy re revisions for overview map

 

Featured Hike format

Group preferred any that leave the right column open for ads-especially liked Version 3

On Home Page: like head of HOTW & Highlights to be different from others; like overview map that shows whole region (in left column), not an extract

 

On Switch Pages

Group approved Doug's selection of photos; either Claudio or Walt to post this design with pictures

Group approved addition of green bar at top between title and banner

GW to resend Doug's photo target dimensions to Walt

 

Note: Doug is enthusiastically using the photo management tool identified by Amita; says it's great. Reminder: It's at  http://www.montala.net/resourcespace.php

Groups: