2008-07-28 Web Status Meeting

Date: 
Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Committee: 
Web Design
Agenda: 

Agenda for 2008-07-28 Web Design status meeting

Old Business:

  1. Subteam status reports
    1. Business model (Ed)
    2. Content (Georgette)
    3. Technology (Walt)

  2. Review open action items
    Key focus items where action is needed
    1. Job req for themeing skills (action item 06-30 A09)

  3. Feedback on use of Projjex, meetings form on Web site, handling of action items

 

New Business:

  1. General project plan:  discussion of how we can get to a concrete plan for site launch.  (Ann)
  2. Discussion about Region identification

 

Subteam discussions:

             No topics submitted.

Attendees: 
Ed, Walt, Georgette, Ann, Phil
Minutes: 

Old Business:

 

  1. Subteam status reports
    1. Business model (Ed)

                                                    i.     Our direction is good but the speed is disappointing.  We really need to get a skilled theme developer on board.  Ed proposed exposing the hike database to the public as quickly as possible, then complete the rest of the site.

                                                  ii.     Discussion of what goes into the 2009 budget: 

·       $5K for Georgette’s work on Web site

·       $10K for programmer à revise to $15K for 200 hrs work at $75/hr.

·       Also plan for server fees of up to $200/mo.

  1.  
    1. Content (Georgette)

                                                    i.     Phil continues to document parks in NJ – he has completed 7 regions and there are 3 to go.

                                                  ii.     Georgette created a volunteer ad to document NY parks.  Action: We also need a volunteer for the Walkable Westchester parks.

                                                iii.     Phil asked when to add links to parks descriptions – answer is whenever it seems appropriate – now or later.

                                                iv.     We deferred making a decision on how to do maps for later.  There should be a defined procedure that all content developers can use.

  1.  
    1. Technology (Walt)

                                                    i.     We need to think about using a faster server, perhaps a dedicated one, for the new Web site.  See budget discussion above.

                                                  ii.     Walt and Ann are still trying to find good theming talent – no serious replies to the Drupal posting.  Walt will look at larger, established firms locally to see if they can do the work.  It would be helpful to the themer if Doug could provide specifications (e.g. fonts and sizes used, etc.) in addition to .pdf files.

                                                iii.     High priority this week is to isolate the edit bug that appears in pages with links.

                                                iv.     Claudio hasn’t accomplished anything in quite a while.  Action: Ed will follow up and release him from his responsibilities if appropriate.

                                                  v.     Walt found a new 3-column theme that appears to provide a better start point for our pages than what we have been using.

                                                vi.     Walt still needs to work on the hike database and the search terms for hikes.  If we want an advanced search mechanism, that will come later after the site launches.

                                              vii.     Action: Walt needs to insert images in 3rd level panel pages in the Go Hiking tree.

                                            viii.     Action: Doug needs to find images for the other trees.

                                                ix.     We discussed getting the new store code working – Walt needs to get a certificate for the Drupal server in order to hook to merchant accounts. 

  1. Review open action items
    Key focus items where action is needed
    1. Job req for themeing skills (action item 06-30 A09)

  2. Feedback on use of Projjex, meetings form on Web site, handling of action items

 

 

New Business:

  1. General project plan:  discussion of how we can get to a concrete plan for site launch.  (Ann)
    • We discussed things needed for launch:  maps and photos for hikes are optional content; the theme design has to be implemented; the hike database search needs to be implemented; we should have a comment/feedback capability for hikes and parks; the site needs to be tested for feature completeness.
    • Georgette will update the Today’s Highlights section of the new site.
    • We have to determine what goes in the right column. (Ads?  Other stuff?)
    • We have to determine what goes in the left colum in the 3rd block and below.
  2. Discussion about Region identification
    • It would be useful to organize parks and hikes within three region categories:

                                                    i.     Geological

                                                  ii.     Political (i.e. county)

                                                iii.     State tourist regions

  1.  
    • We need to investigate if NY and NJ have meaningful regions in each of these categories so we can use them.
    • Action:  Phil will propose the regions that should be used.
  2. The next meeting will be on August 25 at 1:30 PM.  There is no status meeting on August 11.  We would work and communicate online during the month instead.
Groups: