2009-06-01 Web Design status meeting

Date: 
Monday, June 1, 2009 - 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Committee: 
Web Design
Agenda: 
Old Business:

1. Agenda modifications

Add Office subteam to status section.

2. Subteam status reports

* Office status (Josh)
-- Review status of store code
Join/renew part 1 (is it working as expected? what do we have to update to reflect changed process?)
Adding back gift membership (finalize Work Order)
-- Other office issues

* Technology (Walt)
-- Backup plan
-- Security issues (status of malware cleanup)
-- Trellon status

* Content (Georgette)

* Business model (Ann/Ed)

3. Set goals for next week.
* Walt's Priorities
* Join/Renew/Donate flow and other store issues
* Google Analytics
* Migrating content from the old site

* Other high priority items

4. Specific action items requiring discussion.
See http://nynjtc.org/meeting/actions
Review actions from last month's meetings

5. Phase 2 planning
* Process: gather requirements, prioritize requirements, size implementation, build work plan, implement

per plan.
* Gather requirements -- Steo 1: Build tentative starter list of requirements (in random order for now);

Step 2: take to committees, staff, board for additional input.

New Business:


Meeting schedule:
Next meeting: phone call or at TC office? -- phone call
Invite someone to next status meeting?

For later discussion:
(If we have time) Ed requests we discuss:
Publication pages
Member org pages
Sponsor pages
301 redirect on html pages

Attendees: 
Ann, Walt, Doug, Georgette, (Hedy), Josh, E
Minutes: 

Old Business:

1. Agenda modifications

Add Office subteam to status section.

2. Subteam status reports

* Office status (Josh)

-- Review status of store code
Join/renew part 1 (is it working as expected? what do we have to update to reflect changed process?)
Adding back gift membership (finalize Work Order)  -- finalize this next meeting


It was noted that the expiration date in profile not working properly (set to current date)

Discuss how to handle expiration date for memberships going forward at a forthcoming meeting.
eBase has concept of grace period.

-- Other office issues
Hedy frustrated -- needs member number for renewals and would like second member name.
Still needs tender type from PayPal. Process is burdensome.
Action: add member number and second member name fields to Join/Renew screen. (Ask Trellon to do.)
When ship orders, mark completed. Can we do as bulk operation? (Answer: no. Bulk operation module doesn't do everything that individual operations do.) Need to document order processing steps for Hedy and Gary (Walt to do?).
(Added Finished state to indicate Ebase and QuickBooks processing done. Finished comes after Completed. Can do bulk operations to move from Completed to Finished.) Have big backlog to process. Josh to figure out how to accomplish.
-- Can we remove the Calculate shipping cost section from the checkout form. Hedy reports users frustrated -- don't understand why this is here. Ask Trellon to disable Calculate Shipping section.
Georgette to send Ann wording to use -- DONE.

We will give Trellon a work order to revise Join/Renew based on today's discussion.  If there is time left in our current engagement, we will then ask them to do the Gift membership mods.

* Technology (Walt)

-- Backup plan
Office getting new drive -- do we want to back up there?
Current plan -- move .net to Dreamhost -- running current site; backed up daily
-- Security issues (status of malware cleanup) resolved
-- Trellon status --
new style header -- Walt needs to seek advice on what to do in CSS
-- Book permissions (10 - 15 min work to complete) -- DONE
-- Feedback at nynjtc.org -- need to get pw from Josh

Ann to clean up Known Problems (get rid of fixed items).

* Content (Georgette)

Stuff in Trail News -- people can't find stuff that used to be elsewhere. Content issue -- stuff in trail news eventually needs to be reflected in park or hike affected.

Way short of volunteers to do content. Need more solicitation for volunteers in Trail Walker. Somewhat complicated about how work would be assigned.
In progress: update LP guide.

Neil's emails -- post to Web as they come. Where to put it? Trail News or Land News. (Ken Malkin has volunteered to post these.  Thanks, Ken!)

Content display issues .. Need Trail Crew schedules view. (Walt to send Ann specs to try to do.)
Georgette needs guidance on how to do forms (Catherine knows.)

* Business model (Ann/Ed)

Discussion of how to leverage volunteers going forward. Content management, etc.

Google analytics traffic. Erosion of traffic since last year. 301 redirects -- Walt needs to change hdaccess so can do per page redirect. (probably easy, but do on test site first) Walt to work up template and explain what to do. We can each do a few -- get it done. (Copy html to portable media, make changes, copy back.)

Metatags and keywords -- global change done. Individual pages need to be done.

How do so many people get to index.html? (from search engines)

Can we get intern to do either of these?

3. Set goals for next week.

* Walt's Priorities -- do the 301 redirects NOW
* Join/Renew/Donate flow and other store issues
* Google Analytics
* Migrating content from the old site

* Other high priority items

4. Specific action items requiring discussion.
See http://nynjtc.org/meeting/actions
Review actions from last month's meetings

5. Phase 2 planning

* Process: gather requirements, prioritize requirements, size implementation, build work plan, implement

per plan.
* Gather requirements -- Steo 1: Build tentative starter list of requirements (in random order for now);

Step 2: take to committees, staff, board for additional input.

New Business:


Meeting schedule:
Next meeting: phone call or at TC office? -- at office

Invite someone to next status meeting?

For later discussion:
(If we have time) Ed requests we discuss:
Publication pages
Member org pages
Sponsor pages
301 redirect on html pages

Groups: