2010-02-01 Web Design status call

Date: 
Monday, February 1, 2010 - 1:30pm - 2:30pm
Location: 
Conference call
Committee: 
Web Design
Agenda: 
1. Special Topics:

2A. Subteam status reports - first and third Mondays

* Office status (Josh)

* Google Analytics and Theming (Doug)

-- Discuss Walt's email re Google Caffeine

* Social Networking (Doug-acting)
-- Facebook presence - fan page and content issues

* Content (Georgette)
-- Create list of Web content projects as various committees spawn them so we can track, discuss and/or prioritize them (should we create a Project content type?)
-- Trail crew pages and sign-up
-- Store modifications
-- Discuss content enhancements - car-less hikes and parks, snowshoeing, etc.

* Business model (Ann)

Board meeting: Technology overview presented to Board on 1/26. Ed also gave update on status for last quarter.


2B. Technology status reports - second and fourth Mondays

-- Drupal 6 (Walt)
-- Store issues: Ubercart membership process - expiration date processing (Walt)
-- ebase fields to push to the Web site; synchronization plan (Walt)
-- CRM (Walt -acting)

3. Set goals for next couple of weeks

4. Specific action items requiring discussion.
Review outstanding actions from prior meeting minutes
See http://nynjtc.org/meeting/actions

Meeting schedule:
Next meeting: phone or office?

Parking lot (for later discussion):

 

Attendees: 
Ann, Doug, Georgette, Tina, Walt, Josh
Minutes: 

1. Special Topics:

2A. Subteam status reports - first and third Mondays

* Office status (Josh)

1) Can we add question with drop-down list on Donate page? (Ed wants to know.)  (Send us the question and list and we'll mock it up.)

2) Where is the secure site notation on each Browser?  (Ann sent info to Hedy.)
3) People having problems with store transactions today.
-- renewal postcards went out - may be source of increased problems
-- Patricia Hammond - "nothing in shopping cart" (essential to ask which browser & version they are using)

 

* Google Analytics and Theming (Doug)

-- Still have to sort thru H1 titles for the site for analytics. Domain, page title, h1 are important. Panel pages need fixing.

-- Site running well ahead of benchmark (# of visitors) for sites of similar size. Good motivation for ad sales. In Hiking and Camping category. 204K visits vs avg 40K visits. Could improve page visits - to encourage people to explore other parts of site. Discuss later.

-- Sponsor ads Campmor 41 in 2 months vs Ramsey Outdoor 18.

-- Now have 215 Twitter followers.

-- Addthis feature is being used (95 users). (Addthis slows down our site. Maybe find an alternative bookmarking utility with better performance) Tech committee to look for alternative?  Ann to add to Tech committee issues list.

-- Mobile iphone and ipod users - 1700 / 250. Android 180, Blackberry 180. Our site is being hit, but not easy to read without enlarging. We could do some specialization using Drupal CSS for mobile (after we move to D6).  Ann to add to "after D6" list.

* Social Networking (Doug-acting)
-- Facebook presence - fan page and content issues vs. group page. Group page is older, but fan page is more flexible. OK strategy to redirect people to the fan page. When have enough volume on fan page, can close group page. Jenny's posts should appear as "official" post, not as coming from a person. What about custom tabs instead of Wall?

Tina to talk with Georgette this week.
-- Summary of their talk: Tina had some good input about using Facebook, trying to work with other, outside bloggers, and more. One of the first things she has promised to work on is to draft a Social Media policy for us to consider, as well as a content matrix. One interesting observation from her: she says that in the corporate world, the trend is to move content and advertising from the web to Facebook. Something for us to be alert to and to keep in mind, especially given the business model for our website. Of course, she also says it's the wild west and nobody really knows how things will settle out (if they do).

 

* Content (Georgette)

-- Create list of Web content projects as various committees spawn them so we can track, discuss and/or prioritize them (should we create a Project content type?)
-- Trail crew pages and sign-up
-- Store modifications
-- Discuss content enhancements - car-less hikes and parks, snowshoeing, etc. (Put content plan in place for 2010-11)
-- Feedback request for sorting public transportation by e.g. Metro-North, bus line, etc. - but we don't have that data. Could do manual extract and make a top 10 list for a particular transportation route. Current hikes database has public transportation data. Nothing similar for parks.
-- Switch banner again. Needs to be turned on.
-- Trail crews, signups, etc. Pages will be updated once data is available. Structure needs thinking about. Right now, Georgette is updating pages based on TW input.

* Business model (Ann)

Board meeting: Technology overview presented to Board on 1/26. Ed also gave update on status for last quarter.


2B. Technology status reports - second and fourth Mondays

-- Drupal 6 (Walt)
-- Store issues: Ubercart membership process - expiration date processing (Walt)
-- ebase fields to push to the Web site; synchronization plan (Walt)
-- CRM (Walt -acting)

3. Set goals for next couple of weeks

4. Specific action items requiring discussion.
Review outstanding actions from prior meeting minutes
See http://nynjtc.org/meeting/actions

Meeting schedule:

Next meeting: phone or office?
Walt away Presidents' Week
Georgette away 2/15

Parking lot (for later discussion):

Groups: