2010-03-15 Web Design status call

Date: 
Monday, March 15, 2010 - 1:30pm
Location: 
Conference call
Committee: 
Web Design
Agenda: 
1. Special Topics:

2A. Subteam status reports - first and third Mondays

* Office status (Josh)

* Google Analytics and Theming (Doug)

* Social Networking (Doug-acting)

* Content (Georgette)

We forgot to mark 2 anniversaries: Launch of the website one year ago this month, and implementation of effective traffic tracking 6 months ago!

Changes to the home page-I think too much of it is static and it is a real struggle to highlight all the things that could be highlighted on the home page but for which there is no real estate.

I had hoped that Analytics could provide some guidance as to how visitors use the home page: do they use the drop-down menus or the blocks and links to navigate? But it looks like Analytics does not track these separately-the numbers are exactly the same on the corresponding links (for example, from the Find a Hike link in the drop-down and the Find a Hike link in the Go Hiking block). Is there a way to get that info that I don't know about?

I know that Content functionality requests are a problem as the tech crew works on the D6 migration - More evidence that we could sure use more tech help. Or maybe the content team should take a sabbatical!

Current content issues are:
• Analytics on home page use (drop-down menus vs links in blocks)
• Home page content/format changes-to allow more news and features
• Develop a process for accepting hike descriptions from public; schedule an in-person meeting to bring parties together
• Theme the new NY & NJ trails and parks view pages (I think they may eventually outpace the existing full-themed view/hike; the ny one is already in the top ten for the past 6 months and it was only implemented in December)
• Add sponsor blocks to those NY-NJ view pages
• NY Walk Book is a content/ type rather than a product/ type (Walt knows about this)-hundreds of links affected
• Region pages: Suggestions for fields, etc to come on Monday after a meeting with Development team
• Note: I plan to post a volunteer request for an Editorial Assistant(s), with the idea that such a person can help with various TC projects, including the web

* Business model (Ann)

• Update on how volunteers are working out ... is everyone engaged? (Stefanie Schade, Tina Nixon (no longer available), Bill Roehrig, Rob Gulick, Eric Pietrucha, Phil McLewin, Ken Malkin, anybody else???)
• Initial Technology Steering Committee meeting tonight
• Meeting with Volunteer committee next week to discuss job descriptions for Technology team. Any suggestions other than what we have as job postings?

2B. Technology status reports - second and fourth Mondays

-- Current site
-- Drupal 6 (Walt)
-- ebase
-- CRM (Walt -acting)
-- other

3. Set goals for next couple of weeks

4. Specific action items requiring discussion.
Review outstanding actions

Meeting schedule:
Next meeting: phone or office?

Parking lot (for later discussion):

Attendees: 
Ann, Walt, Eric, Georgette, Josh
Minutes: 

1. Special Topics:

2A. Subteam status reports - first and third Mondays

* Office status (Josh)

Nothing to report ... except need to upgrade QuickBooks. TIS to look at different SPAM provider. TrendMicro cannot handle individual security levels.

Membership order with old info in it - Walt needs order number to look into it.

* Google Analytics and Theming (Doug)

* Social Networking (Doug-acting)

Over 500 people on new Facebook site now.

* Content (Georgette)

We forgot to mark 2 anniversaries: Launch of the website one year ago this month, and implementation of effective traffic tracking 6 months ago!

Some discussion points from Georgette:

  • Changes to the home page-I think too much of it is static and it is a real struggle to highlight all the things that could be highlighted on the home page but for which there is no real estate.  Current four static blocks are getting stale ... can we do something different?  Should we have some home page content/format changes-to allow more news and features?
  • Analytics on home page use (drop-down menus vs links in blocks):  I had hoped that Analytics could provide some guidance as to how visitors use the home page: do they use the drop-down menus or the blocks and links to navigate? But it looks like Analytics does not track these separately-the numbers are exactly the same on the corresponding links (for example, from the Find a Hike link in the drop-down and the Find a Hike link in the Go Hiking block). Is there a way to get that info that I don't know about?   -- We discussed this, but had no solution to offer.
  • I know that Content functionality requests are a problem as the tech crew works on the D6 migration - More evidence that we could sure use more tech help. Or maybe the content team should take a sabbatical!
  • New Trail Finder links in left column are VERY popular.
Things to do:
  • Develop a process for accepting hike descriptions from public; schedule an in-person meeting to bring parties together. Set up meeting in April.  (Meeting set for April 12.)
  • Theme the new NY & NJ trails and parks view pages (I think they may eventually outpace the existing full-themed view/hike; the ny one is already in the top ten for the past 6 months and it was only implemented in December)
  • Add sponsor blocks to those NY-NJ view pages
  • NY Walk Book is a content/ type rather than a product/ type (Walt knows about this)-hundreds of links affected
  • Region pages: Suggestions for fields, etc to come on Monday after a meeting with Development team
  • Eliminate map tab asap Walt needs to know which fields should show up. Map and book fields. Georgette to sent Walt a list of what should be implemented.

• Note: Georgette plans to post a volunteer request for an Editorial Assistant(s), with the idea that such a person can help with various TC projects, including the web

* Business model (Ann)

• Update on how volunteers are working out ... is everyone engaged? (Stefanie Schade, Tina Nixon (no longer available), Bill Roehrig, Rob Gulick, Eric Pietrucha, Phil McLewin, Ken Malkin, anybody else???)
• Initial Technology Steering Committee meeting tonight
• Meeting with Volunteer committee next week to discuss job descriptions for Technology team. Any suggestions other than what we have as job postings? (e.g. under auspices of EA)

2B. Technology status reports - second and fourth Mondays

-- Walt to update TinyMCE to newer version
-- Need printable forms for ordering from store to add to Web site for people who don't do credit card orders online.
-- Current site
-- Drupal 6 (Walt)
-- ebase
-- CRM (Walt -acting)
-- other

3. Set goals for next couple of weeks

4. Specific action items requiring discussion.

Review outstanding actions

Meeting schedule:
Next meeting: phone or office?

Parking lot (for later discussion):

Groups: