|Park Description:|| |
High Mountain Park Preserve contains some 1,154 acres located in the Preakness Range, a northern continuation of the Second Watchung Ridge. The Preserve includes High Mountain itself, which features excellent views of New York City. Much of the rest of the Range is occupied by William Paterson University, a golf course and private homes.
The Nature Conservancy, Wayne Township, and the NJ Department of Environmental Protection [Green Acres Program] cooperated in protecting this open space.
|Trails Overview:|| |
The park preserve has five trails ranging from 0.2 to 4.9 miles. The Red Trail [red blaze; 1.7 miles begins at the trailhead next to the hikers' parking lot [to the west of Parking Lot #6] at the top of College Road, and extends to Reservoir Drive. Others branch off it, including the Yellow Trail [yellow blaze; 4.9 miles] which features views from High Mountain.
- After descending the west slope of High Mountain, the Yellow Trail intersects and crosses the Red trail and continues to Reservoir Drive circle. It re-enters the park about 75 yards west along Reservoir Drive circle. The Yellow Trail then goes up and over another ridge past a wetlands and then up again to another ridge line moving south until a westerly turn as it descends. There is a basalt outcropping/knob on the west-side of the trail yielding a beautiful view of Point View Reservoir and the distant hills to the West before descending to the valley and passing some commercial buildings. Eventually the Yellow Trail continues to Indian Trail Drive and Dakota Trail in Franklin Lakes.
- Just before the Yellow's terminus at Indian Trail Drive is a side connection to the very short Orange Trail to Buttermilk Falls at the Scioto Drive gate.
- Wayne Township Department of Parks and Recreation provides a trail map.
- Take Hamburg Turnpike [County 502] to William Paterson University's Entrance #5, College Road, in Wayne, NJ. The trailhead for the Red Trail is west of Parking Lot #6 at a new 13-space hikers' parking lot at the top of College Road [0.7 miles from either Hamburg Turnpike, or from Belmont Ave to W. Overlook Ave and through Entry Gate #6 and then turning right]
- Driving directions to the campus, and campus map. Follow the "Directions/Map" link. The map may not show the new hikers parking area west of Parking Lot #6, or new road alignments.
- Public transportation to the campus: NJ Transit bus 744, #746 and #748 [use the link above for more information.]
- From the north, the Red Trail may be accessed from two points along Reservoir Drive and Indian Trail Drive , both in Franklin Lakes. The Blue Trail can be accessed from Hamburg Turnpike: Turn north onto Valley Road and then right turn onto Point View Parkway and a quick right turn onto Chicoppe Drive. To locate the north trailhead of the Yellow Trail enter "Indian Trail Drive and Dakota Trail, Franklin Lakes, NJ" into Google Maps.
|Contact Information:||Wayne Township Dept Parks and Recreation |