Join us to gain or brush up on the skills necessary to become a volunteer Trail Maintainer!
Trail maintainers visit their trails 3 to 4 times each year to ensure the trails are clearly marked and free of obstacles to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for all trail users.
This involves using small hand tools to clip and cut brush out of the trail, removing debris from drainage structures, painting or hanging trail markers, and reporting on the conditions of the trail.
This workshop will be co-led by Melissa Cascini, our New York Program Coordinator, and Andy Wong, our volunteer Trail Supervisor for Schunemunk Mountain. In this workshop we will go over the basics of trail maintenance and then you will get a chance to practice maintaining a trail!
Please come prepared with:
- Plenty of water
- Lunch and snacks
- Work gloves
- Glasses or sunglasses for eye protection
- Long Pants
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes
- Clippers, loppers, and a hammer if you have them
Spare tools will be provided for those who don't have them.
Know Before You Go
- Please come prepared with plenty of water, lunch and snacks, work gloves, glasses or sunglasses for eye protection, and loppers and a hammer if you have them. Please wear long pants and sturdy, closed-toe shoes.
- Please read over our COVID-19 Protocols and be prepared to follow them on the trail.
- Please fill out the required OPRHP Volunteer Form and select "Schunnemunk Mountain State Park" for park.
- For volunteers under age 18, please submit a Guardian Consent form to [email protected] prior to the volunteer day or bring the paper form the day of. A parent or guardian must be present for the volunteer day.
New Windsor, NY
Additional workshop information