The links below will be useful to anyone looking to lay out new trails, assess trail problems, construct new sections of trail, or build trail structures. The reporting forms and other documents for assigned Trail Crew Leaders are available through the Dashboard, the Volunteer Forms page, or by contacting [email protected].
If you're looking to learn about blazing and maintaining trails instead, click here.
- USDA Hand Tools for Trail Work
- USDA Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook
- Great reference overall, but simpler puncheon plans available elsewhere.
- USDA Wetland Trail Design and Construction
- NYNJTC Rigging Handbook
Layout and Design
- NYNJTC User Guide to the ‘Avenza Maps’ App
- Natural Surface Trails by Design: Physical and Human Design Essentials of Sustainable, Enjoyable Trails
- NYNJTC Primitive Footpath Trail Construction
- USFS Standard Trail Plans and Specifications
- Bridge Best Practices and Samples
- USDA Standard Bridge Plans
- USDA Locating Your Trail Bridge for Longevity
- USDA Accessibility Resources
- National Trail Surfaces Study by National Center on Accessibility (NCA)
- The Art of Building Crushed Stone Trails
- Natural Surface Trails by Design: Physical and Human Essentials of Sustainable, Enjoyable Trails Troy Scott Parker, 2004. See http://www.natureshape.com/pubs/nstbd.html
- Lightly on the Land: The SCA Trail-Building and Maintenance Manual, Robert C. Birkby Peter Lucchetti (Illustrator) With Jenny Tempest, The Mountaineers, January 2006, ISBN 0-898868-48-3
- A.T. Design, Construction, and Maintenance by William Birchard, Jr., Robert D. Proudman, and the Regional Staff of the Appalachian Trail Conference, 2nd edition, March 2000, ISBN 0-917953-72-X
- A.T. Fieldbook: Maintenance & Rehabilitation Guidelines, A key supplement for volunteers to Appalachian Trail Design, Construction, and Maintenance.
- 96 pages, spiral-bound, and pocket-sized - made for field work
- The Complete Guide to Trail Building and Maintenance AMC Staff, 4th Edition, Publisher: Appalachian Mountain Club 2008, ISBN:978-1934028162
- Trail Solutions, 2004, IMBA's Guide to Building Sweet Singletrack. ISBN 0-9755023-0-1
- Crew Leader Manual, American Hiking Society, revised 10/1/2003, A comprehensive step-by-step guide for leading a volunteer trail crew