New Jersey State Park and Forest Closures
Due to the government shutdown in the State of New Jersey, all state parks, forests, historic sites, and recreation areas will be closed starting July 1 until further notice.
Update: As of July 4, all sites have reopened.
Please visit the New Jersey State Park and Forestry website for any updated information. New Jersey State Park Police will be enforcing the closure and patrolling state lands during this time. If you notice any suspicious activity near a state park, state forest, historic site, or recreation area during this time, please call 1-877-WARN-DEP (1-877-927-6337). Visit the New Jersey State Parks and Forestry Park Index to view the list of state lands currently closed.
While this is a lamentable situation, the Trail Conference advises our trail volunteers to postpone their volunteer duties on state lands until public access is restored. Trail seekers can travel out-of-state or plan excursions in National Park Service units and New Jersey county parks. Trail Conference maps are the best way for trail users to be aware of state park and forest boundaries while planning hikes during this time.
July is a peak time of year for Appalachian Trail thru-hikers to reach New Jersey, where 72 miles of this trail winds through a variety of federal and state lands. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) advises that "although the Appalachian Trail is not closed, many access points and parking areas are closed. Thru-hikers should be aware that facilities such as the High Point State Park office will be closed, and hikers will not be able to pick up or send packages until further notice. Hikers should also respect any closures or directions of law enforcement officials encountered on New Jersey State Lands." Please visit ATC Trail Updates for more Appalachian Trail updates.
Don't let the government shutdown keep you from hitting the trails and connecting with nature in New Jersey. The following National Park Service units and New Jersey County Parks are still open to the public:
New Jersey National Park Service Units
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, Sussex County
- Morristown National Historical Park, Morris County
- Paterson Great Falls National Historic Park, Passaic County
New Jersey County Parks
- Campgaw Mountain County Reservation, Bergen County
- Camp Glen Gray, Bergen County
- Eagle Rock Reservation, Essex County
- Friendship Park, Passaic County
- Garret Mountain Reservation, Passaic County
- High Mountain Park Preserve, Passaic County
- Mahlon Dickerson Reservaton, Morris County
- Pyramid Mountain Natural Historic Area, Morris County
- Ramapo Valley County Reservation, Bergen County
- Torne County Park, Morris County