The Highlands Trail currently extends approximately 180 miles through New Jersey and New York, from the Delaware River in the south to the Hudson River in the north. An extension through Putnam County, New York is a work in progress.
This scenic trail showcases the natural beauty of the local Highlands Region in New Jersey and New York and connects local communities with the incredible recreational opportunities in their own backyards. The Highlands Trail in New York and New Jersey is built and maintained by partnerships between public land managers, the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference, and people just like you.
Click here to visit our online Highlands Trail Guide, your key to exploring the Highlands Trail! It now includes new maps in a variety of formats, including Avenza Maps app maps, downloadable PDFs, and an interactive map. View the latest trail alerts and step-by-step directions to plan your next Highlands Trail adventure.
Jump right to the new "Highlands Trail in New Jersey" maps on Avenza Maps by clicking here!
Highlands Trail News
- July 2022 - Exciting New Features and Upgrades For The New Jersey Highlands Trail
- July 2021 - Club Spotlight: Hunterdon Hiking Club
- February 2021 - The Highlands West Trail Connectivity Plan aims to protect the routes of four long-distance trails through six New York State Parks
- July 2019 - Mobile Map and Enhanced Signage Coming for New Jersey Highlands Trail
- May 2019 - Highlands Trail in New Jersey Continues to Grow