Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 3 months ago
    More like 22 or 23 miles. I hiked it one way along the top once from the state border to the GWB, and that was 11 miles.
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 3 months ago
    If you sign up on their website you will receive monthly discount coupons via email :-)
    Bus goes to Stockholm, NJ weekdays during rush hours but only to Newfoundland NJ on weekends. However you can access the Highlands Trail either way. In Stockholm you can reach the Highlands Trail - the bus passes right by it. The trail crosses Rt 23 at Canistear Road. From Newfoundland station you can bike to it as others have done in the past. www.highlands-trail.org This is the beautiful northern mountains of New Jersey :-)
  • Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 3 months ago
    So, how did your first outing with your animals go? Did you take them out hiking or did you pick something else to do?
    I know this is a long shot, but here goes. Back on Martin Luther King weekend I lost 1 Stabilicer of my pair. It would have been at the Wildcat Shelter, the parking area on route 17A, or someplace in between. If you found it I'd like to get it back, Please.
  • Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 3 months ago
    Definitely - while we were hiking in Eagle Rock one day last summer, my mother got a bite from a Lyme-infected tick. So be liberal with the bug spray - I like to joke that my favorite summer eau de toilette is Deep Woods Off. :)
    I know a guy who once hiked the Long Path from the GWB all the way up to the entrance to Lamont-Doherty in one day - he took the bus back, though. As for me, I've done a few loop hikes around Closter Dock, Huyler's Landing and Forest View, and I'm still working up to the Giant Stairs.
    Yeah, the store in Paramus has a pretty good selection - I was just up there to get a new pair of day hiking boots. Guess I'll have to check out Campmor next time I'm up in the neighborhood. There's also a shop called The Outdoor Store on Church St. in Montclair. They're small, but they've got an all-right range of books, maps, gear and stuff.
    Giant Stairs in a day... I'm planning to lead an intermediate/advanced group of hikers to do a marathon hike that covers A trail from GWB Bridge to State Line and then taking W trail, including Giant Stairs, back to GWB starting point in early March. Has anyone ever done this? It looks to me about 18 mile altogether. Thanks.
    I recommend:

1- Take the Metro North Hudson line to either Cold Spring, Garrison, or Beacon. The East Hudson Trails map set will show you the trails available here.

2- Take NJT from Penn Station to either Sloatsburg or Tuxedo. The Harriman/Bear Mountain Trails map set will show the available trails.

Have fun!