Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 3 months ago
    PSM, I'm sure you walked north along the river starting at Nyack Beach State Park. Have you ever walked South from Haverstraw? Very nice. The first quarter mile is paved, then it's a dirt road, perfect for the stroller. The parking is at the end of Riverside Avenue: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=haverstraw+ny+map&oe=UTF-8&i... Goes along the river, gently rolling.
  • Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 3 months ago
    Well first of all normally i never take my dog along when were are out or doing some adventure but it really sounds interesting i mean dogs just loves the adventures and what better this weekend if i take my alaskan husky to a outing with my other pets also.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 3 months ago
    One hike I recommend is the loop to the West Mountain shelter. Great view from the shelter. "Keep not standing fixed and rooted, briskly venture, briskly roam" - Goethe
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 3 months ago
    The Signs that were on the Sign post at the junction of the Mine Trail (yellow) & the New Roomy Mine Trail (Orange) that now connects Wyanokie Falls (Blue Mine Brook Falls) and the Roomy Mine has been vandalized and the metal signs have been removed but the post remains. Please consult the map in the NYNJTC Kiosk and map inserts in Map#115 for directions, until we can get the signs replaced. And if you spot vandalism on any of our trails please report to NYNJTC Headquarters in Mahwah. Thanks, Ynoke
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 4 months ago
    I just did a hike in Harriman today (Tuxedo to Sloatsburg), and what Patrick says is true- there is only a couple of inches of snow in most spots, and some spots have no snow. With it supposedly going up into the 40's this weekend, much of the snow that is there is likely to be gone by next week. As for a shelter/hike recommendation, you would have to let us know what part of Harriman you wanted to hike in, how you were getting there (public transport or car), and when you're going. Once we know this, it might be easier to make a recommendation.
    Currently there are only a couple of inches of snow in some places to virtually no snow in other south sloping spots. There are some icy spots and ice covered rocks, frost heaves, etc, but no need for snow shoes. Sorry this didnt end up under the right message.
    I am looking to do an overnight snowshoe/backpack trip in Harriman. Does anyone know how much snow there currently is on the trails? Also, would appreciate any recommendation for a 5 mile or less hike to one of the shelters - something that can be done on snowshoes (assuming there is snow).
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 4 months ago
    Hello to all. My name is David Goodfellow and I live only a few miles from Harriman State Park. I hike there about two times a week and I'm fairly familiar with most of the trails there. This past weekend I had an experience that for me, raised concern and thought I should share that with the other members of the club so that they might pass it on. I was parked near Little Long Pond and hiked up past the old boyscout / girlscout camp that used to be there. I take this route often as a shortcut to the intersection of Dunning Trail and the Long Path. On the way out my tracks were the only ones in the new snow that had fallen earlier in the week. On my way home as I cut onto the old woods road I call a shortcut I noticed a set of fairly small prints headed towards the intersection of Dunning Trail and the Long Path. At first I didn't think much of it but as it was getting dark I started to question it in my mind. As I came upon a stream I saw that the person had not followed my tracks from earlier in the day. I had crossed where I know the water slows down a bit, knowing the ice would be thicker. This other person crossed in a different spot because of convenience and clearly fell through with one foot. I just had a gut feeling that this person was lost. When I returned to my truck I started it and began taking off my layers. As I was standing there A park police car pulled up and asked if I had seen an Asian woman hiking alone. He said she was part of a group but had gotten lost. I said no but told him about what I had seen. He took note and moved on as there was probably only ten minutes of light left. I can't be certain it was her prints but you know how minds work. The "what if" factor starts play games with you. Now that I've rambled too much and probably lost most readers I'll finally get to the point. Harriman is infamous for the large "group hikes" that are usually organized in NYC and it's great to see soo many people using the parks services. Hiking in winter is very beautiful to say the very least but can be much more dangerous than other times of the year. Especially when the sun goes down. If someone got lost and wasn't properly prepared or a little inexperienced they could find themselves in a lot of trouble. Last night was 13 degrees (F) and that's without the windchill factor. I'm an Architect and in school they taught us to design or expect the worst and you'll always be safe. The same theory applies here. I'm no self proclaimed expert in survival by any means but I always carry a few basic things that I feel everyone should carry in their pack this time of year. I carry a cell phone, map, compasss, matches & flint, a headlamp, an extra t-shirt ( if you break a sweat you should change your base layer) All of these things are small, light and cheap and can literally save your life if something went wrong. I would have loved to have helped that woman had I seen her but I'm sure they found her. Happy trails Dave Goodfellow
    This blowdown has been reported to the Trail Conference Harriman area (certified) chainsawyer teams who group reported blowdown sites and will plan to include this one in an outing for clearing. The teams cleared hundreds of blowdowns during each half of 2009. We appreciate the reporting of blowdowns and other trail problems.
    Today a car was broken into at reeves meadow- passenger side window smashed. No visible purse- car was a volvo xc70 wagon. I think they started breaking into mine but were interrupted-i've got some marks on the passenger side. Luckily my friend carried her wallet. Please let the hikers in your clubs know about this. park police took down our info and said that they had not heard of other recent breakins. .
    Susan    fri 1/8/10