Recent Posts

• Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 4 months ago
    The NY-NJTC has compiled a list of great places and parks to cross-country ski in New York and New Jersey in order to let members know where to go. http://www.nynjtc.org/content/ten-great-places-crosscountry-ski-new-york...
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 4 months ago
    Try the following page on the NY/NJ Trail Conference web site.... http://www.nynjtc.org/content/you-dont-need-car
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 4 months ago
    Hi, Is there any way to sort the maps and trails by those accessible to public transportation (e.g. Metro North, Amtrak, bus lines, subway lines etc)? I'm quite car-less but would love to get out of the city and am hoping to find maps to places I can snag a train out to with my bike then ride over to the trail head. BTW - did find the listing on the trails database - however its not always clear what's really recommended. Suggestions welcome! Thanks!
    There's a major blowdown at the southern junction of the Ramapo-Dunderberg and Triangle trails -- big tangle of trees and branches, partially obscuring the blazes. -- Wounded Knee
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 4 months ago
    I'll second the suggestion that you look in Campmor for your hiking and camping needs. My wife gets most of her things there, as do I. I know it's outside the area you mentioned, but I think you'll be happy you made the trip. Just keep in mind that they are closed on Sundays. Before you make the drive, they have an extensive web site where you can browse most of what they have, but not all, and even shop on-line if you want to. Hope that helps.
  • Reply to: Welcome to the Viewpoint Forum   14 years 4 months ago
    I'd like to see a list of hotels in new york that are closest to the trails especially upstate or just outside the city
    does any one know if there is enough snow any were in the catskill mountains to do some BC skiing? even if there isnt enough yet, can any one tell me some good trails/ mountains to back country ski on?
    A common occurrence Fortunately the level of the Wanaque drops quickly after storms and melts.
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 4 months ago
    Though they are just out of your stated range, Campmor in Paramus and Ramsey Outdoors in Paramus and Ramsey (the Paramus store is better) are great places to pick up gear. A road trip to Campmor is certain worth your time. I know people who drive several hours to shop there. "Keep not standing fixed and rooted, briskly venture, briskly roam" - Goethe
  • Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 4 months ago
    Try Mohonk, Minnawaska SP, North/South Lake