Recent Posts

• Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 6 months ago
    I've seen rattlesnakes at Harriman also. Off of 7 lakes drive, as you go up to the large lake along the creek, Lots of hikers with dogs. I won't go up there with my dog unless the weather is cooler. Thanks for the info. I'll print out and keep.

In my experience, the timber rattlesnakes in the park are pretty good about letting you know you're too close. For the most part, the snakes will know you are approaching before you see them because they are so sensitive to ground vibrations. I've never had a snake problem in the shelters or tenting areas near the shelters. All of my encounters with snakes in Harriman have been during the day when they are sunning themselves on rocks or the trail. Always check your footwear before you insert your foot in the morning. You're looking not only for snakes, but any other bugs that might sting or bite.

In addition to the snakes, there are black bears in Harriman. Unfortunately, many inexperienced hikers fail to follow basic bear-country practices while in the park. Following a few simple guidelines will help keep the bears (and humans) safe. These are a few of the basic bear-country practices, per NY DEC and the US Forest Service you should consider following:
    1) The only lawful places to overnight in Harriman are near the shelters. There are plenty of established tent sites near the shelters. When you get to the shelter area, find your tent site and designate it as your sleeping area. About 100 yards downwind of your sleeping area, find a spot that you can designate as your food prep area. Food and other attractants should always remain in the food prep area. Attractants include food, cooking gear, garbage, cosmetics, soap, first-aid kits and other odorous items.
    2) Keep a clean and neat site. Pack out any food you might spill.
    3) Do all of your food prep, cooking and eating in the food prep area. Never eat or take food or other attractants into your tent.
    4) When finished with dinner, strain any food solids out of your dishwater and pack them out with your garbage. Scatter grey water over a wide area away from your sleeping area and water sources.
    5) Pack out all garbage and trash. Never bury garbage; bears will find it and dig it up, and you’ll be teaching them camp sites are a good place to look for food. Don’t burn garbage or leftovers; a campfire is not hot enough to completely incinerate the remains, and the smell is very attractive to bears.
    6) Hang food and other attractants from a tree limb at least 10-15 feet off the ground, 4-5 feet from the tree trunk and 50-100 yards downwind of your sleeping area (if possible).
    7) Never leave food or other attractants unattended, even for a few minutes, unless they are in a bear resistant container or food hang. It’s an open invitation for everything from ground squirrels, birds and even bears to stop by and make off with the loot. This also means not hiding or stashing your pack full of food near the main trail while you take a side trail.
    8) I don't recommend sleeping in the clothes you ate dinner in, especially if you've spilled or you're cooking something odorous. I take a weight penalty and bring along a set of thermals I wear only for sleeping. I normally take time after dinner to wash the sweat and smells from my face and hands. It also helps keep my bag smelling better longer.

• Reply to: Meetup/Ride Share   14 years 6 months ago
    We are trying to get to the TC's annual meeting in Harriman. We live in Manhattan. Is anyone from Manhattan driving up there and have room for two?

If there are others who are car-less, we would also be willing to split the cost of a ZipCar for the day.

We are planning on staying for the hikes after the meeting.
    Looking to connect with some one to hike one of the long distance trails in the area. AT or Long Path (outside of the Catskills). BT
    I do realize that I am a bit late for this post, I figured that this information could help anyone.We use this Taxi service when hiking in the cental to northern sections of the Catskills in Ulster and Greene Counties. Smiley's Taxi Tannersville 518-589-6533
    This information is straight from the NY DEC website, Timber rattlesnakes are active from late April until mid-October. I get rattle snakes in my yard and even had one in my garage. They are not at all agressive and choose to either leave or make a neat buzzing sound with their rattle. http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7147.html
    I am planning a 5 day backpacking trip in Harriman in November. I have never camped overnight in an area known to have rattle snakes. Are they a problem near the lean-tos for tenters? Are there any special precautions to take, other than just be aware?
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 7 months ago
    Passed this dry spring 19 Sept 2009; it's just south of the shelter (at the intersection of the AT and Menomine Trail) on a very short light-blue-blazed side trail.  Nothing but a few muddy leaves.  Water available from brooks north and south of shelter on the Menomine Trail.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 7 months ago
    Just did this short hike on Saturday. The reservoir/creek was quite high and came up onto the trail a few times, but nothing impassable. The path was quite muddy though, so just be aware.
  • Reply to: Meetup/Ride Share   14 years 7 months ago
    I'm looking for hiking groups focused on the Catskill 3500s. I just joined the 3500 and RVW clubs, and I'm looking to get plugged into existing hikes. Working my way through the high peaks, but not fast enough for my taste! Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!