Recent Posts

• Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 6 months ago

Has the TC taken a position on New York's Ballot Proposal 1?

Here's the text:

Amendment to section 1 of article 14 of the Constitution, in relation to the use of certain forest preserve lands by National Grid to construct a 46 kV power line along State Route 56 in St. Lawrence County. The proposed amendment would authorize the Legislature to convey up to six acres of forest preserve land along State Route 56 in St. Lawrence County to National Grid for construction of a power line. In exchange, National Grid would convey to the State at least 10 acres of forest land in St. Lawrence County, to be incorporated into the forest preserve. The land to be conveyed by National Grid to the State must be at least equal in value to the land conveyed to National Grid by the State. Shall the proposed amendment be approved?

EDIT: It appears the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) is urging its members to vote YES on 1.

• Reply to: Gear   14 years 6 months ago
    I bought a Gregory Z55 last year, used it on our LT thru-hike. It was the first backpack that I ever had that felt like it was supposed to be on my back. I have used it on overnights too, in the spring and fall. It is the most comfortable backpack that I have ever owned and carried well even when I was packed for eight days once.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 6 months ago
    I've never heard anyone advise against the water in Harriman, after treatment. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there was crypto or Giardia in some/most of the water sources. With the number of humans around (especially those who ignore the suggestions about human waste and proximity to water sources), I always assume crypto is there and treat accordingly. To filter out crypto, use UV or a filter that goes down to .2 "absolute" microns.

The other suggestion I have for you is to take your water only from moving sources, where possible. Some of the lakes in Harriman don't move much and a nasty layer of organics forms on top and clogs intakes on filters, etc.

One final note: I have never heard of viruses (e.g., hep A) in NY waterways, but I use a Steripen that will inactive the viruses. If you aren't using UV, the CDC advises you to take these steps: 1) mechanically filter the water, 2) treat it with a halogen (chlorine or an iodine solution), 3) let it sit 15 to 60 minutes (or per manufacturer instructions), 4) then drinking.
    Osprey just put out a new pack for 2009. It's the Exos. I love mine. I'm getting 58 Ls for 35 oz. I love the way it rides too. It's not bomber for a ton of bushwacking, but it's been absolutely perfect for me. I've used it from overnighters in NY to a 5 day backcountry trip in Glacier NP.

My only complaint is that bear cans for Marcy Dam don't fit well in the pack.
    I've been using a Mountainsmith Boundary pack with good results. In the summer I've done park trips of 2 days, 1 night to 2 weeks on the AT. Just sinch down the appropriate straps to decrease the volume. it's good also for winter trips in the Catskills where I'm carrying 2 sleeping bags and extra clothing.
    If you have the map set put out by the NY/NJ Trail Conference, for Harriman State Park, the streams are shown on the maps. My wife and I have used them as water sources when we hike and backpack in the park. Just make sure to treat it in some way to make it potable before you use it.
    I have the Harriman Trails Guide book as well as the maps. They don't really point out the water sources along each of the trails. As long as it is purified (filter and/or purification tablets), is it generally safe to take water from any of the brooks, streams and lakes along the trails?
  • Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 6 months ago
    Does anybody have any information about a cave or a mine shaft opening that is visible on a hillside about 100 yards west of the Devils Path in the West Kill wilderness area approximately one mile south of the Spruceton trailhead? There is a stone cairn beside the trail marking the spot from which this feature is visible.
  • Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 6 months ago
    I have a 3-year old shepherd as well, Buck, who loves to go hiking camping anywhere we go. he would also sleep in our tent too but he would always have to stick his nose out of the door when he slept. he did get sick once (that wasn't fun) but all we do now is give him some petmeds and he's fine for the rest of the trip.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 6 months ago
    Found out today that horses can be easily spooked.

When hikers are in the woods, and the horses hear, but can't see them, that spooks them. Walking around the open, visible area of the parking lot and paddock is much less disconcerting to the horses.

On returning and approaching the horse paddock, (about halfway down the hill from the gas line) call out "hikers coming thru," thus giving the riders a chance to settle their horses and move them away from the trail.

Update: Sign now posted, advising hikers to call out.

It also can't hurt, as you start your hike, to chat briefly with any riders (if convenient), and ask those riders what they would like you to do on your return.

Horses are easily spooked and can throw their riders, causing serious injury, so please be considerate & careful when using the Ramapo Equestrian Center trailhead.