Recent Posts

• Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 8 months ago
    Based on the Majority Leader's calendar, SA 2370 (Coburn) never came to the floor yesterday. If they go to a final vote on HR 3288 - THUD Appropriations, then SA 2370 will die without a vote.

For future reference, the Senate Calendar can be found at: http://democrats.senate.gov/calendar/2009-09.html

Just change the month/year when appropriate.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 8 months ago
    Do you have the current Harriman/Bear Mountain map set?

EDIT: This was in response to the message posted by smlatourette. It looks like I hit the wrong reply button
  • Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 8 months ago
    It looks like the phone calls worked.

SA 2371 (Coburn) was voted down 39-59.
    Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay
    Schumer (D-NY), Nay
    Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay
    Menendez (D-NJ), Nay

SA 2370 (Coburn) has not been voted on as far as I can tell
    I am looking for suggestions for a scenic, moderate overnight hike in Harriman-Bear Mountain State Park. I am preferably looking for a 20-30 mile loop (but would also do 10-15 miles in and out on the same route). The group will be 3-4 men in our late 20s -- capable and with all the necessary gear. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 8 months ago

The bridge replacement is complete - Clinton Rd is open!

Clinton Rd in West Milford NJ is temporarily closed to through traffic.  The bridge over Mossman's Brook will be replaced within the next couple months.  Parking at P3 is accessible from the South only.  Parking at P4 is accessible from the North only for Two Brooks Trail and Highlands Trail heading north.   For Clinton West and the Highlands Trail South of the bridge, access Clinton Rd from the South only. (you will have to drive past the barricades in both instances) The bridge can be crossed by foot until it's removal.  Then it will have to be rock hopping across the brook until November.  We'll try to find a good crossing point for hikers. West Milford DPW has posted detour signs.

I spoke with a park maintenance spokeswoman who advised that the road is being modified to make it easier for the various utilities that use it for access. Supposedly, the DEC has been involved and has approved the project engineering, etc. and that not to worry, next spring, the road will naturally be recovered, and any damage to the lake will be minimal. Additionally, the park spokeswoman also mentioned that they are lowering the level of many of the lakes now by one foot in preparation for expected heavy rains this hurricane season to avoid flooding the Ramapo river. The irony of these two park actions is not lost on me for one.
    I have no information on what is going on there, but I did notice that there was absolutely no protection for the lake, and wetlands to the north that feed it, from erosion from the road which comes within a few feet of the lake in places, no silt fence, hay bales, nothing. The potential for damage to the lake is great and certainly could be mitigated with a little protection. Many of the harriman lakes(see Silvermine and Kanawauke lakes) are in an advanced state of eutrophication, why is Skenonto not being protected?
    I'm planning on taking a group of boy scouts (age 14-15) on a weekend backpacking trip. We're looking at a 7.5 mile loop starting on the Lost Cove (Red) trail to Pine Hill West Branch (Blue) trail to Mine Hollow (Yellow) trail to Oliverea-Mapledale (Red) trail. We've covered greater distances in the past but not as much elevation change. Does this seem like a good route?
    .Major bulldozing is destroying this fragile area. does anyone know when the telephone line construction will be completed and are there plans to repair the muddy roads caused by this extensive destruction?
    I have done a tremendous amount of backpacking, a couple of times in Harriman / Bear Mountain. I had always hung my food and never lost any. Last year my son and I thru hiked the Vermont Long Trail and carried a Bear canister, slept much better at night. I used to worry about the hanging food when I ever I heard animals moving about outside. Andy